SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about my 1975 242 that is missing the smog pump, and I am now thinking that I might like to swap out the mechanical fuel injection for a dual SU carb setup (from a B18). My thinking is that I am much more familiar with carbs than I am with FI, and I don't really want to hassle tuning the FI system w/out the smog pump & related paraphernalia. <p>Is replacing the FI with carbs a bad idea for some reason I can't fathom? Has anyone done this? Changing the throttle linkage doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Would a carb swap-in require a change from the electric fuel pump to a mechanical pump? Could I swap in an adjustable electric fuel pump?<p>Everything about this project is still up in the air. I am freshly into Volvo after a stint with big American steel, and am looking to think out loud in front of people with some swedish experience.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: B20F - swap in Carbs for FI? (roger456)

Well I guess your not worried about a pollution test, do they stop testing cars after 25 years in CA like they do in NY?<br>I can just see you trying to tell the inspectors that the car came that way.<br>Anyway, you'll have to do something about the fuel pressure as the carbs only need a few PSI, fuel pressure regulators are available. The B20 has a spot for a mechanicial pump, so you could go that way. Has a prepump been put in the tank? if so, you could try just using that alone.<br>You'll really need to play with the needles on the SU's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1975 and earlier don't require smog inspections. I don't believe that there is a prepump in the tank. Mechanical FP will probably be the way to go.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: B20F - swap in Carbs for FI? (roger456)

Have you thought about EFI? There are a lot of folks that have adapted things like GM throttle body FI to SU or Zenith carburetted cars. Works very well. Here's a link to a TR site: <A HREF="http://sidedrafttbi.com/index.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://sidedrafttbi.com/index.htm</A> Speaking as a TR-6 owner, I can't think of any reason not to upgrade to FI. Especially, if I already had the FI manifold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks pretty sweet, but I am much more comfortable with non-electronic equipment like carbs. <p>I will pass that link along, though...

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (roger456)

Roger,<p>What is your final goal with this B20? Daily-driver? Hotrod?<p>Are you planning to overhaul the engine soon?<p>A B20 with torque cam and properly set-up single-throat carb would be a nice runner especially with overdrive.<p>Twin SU HS6 carbs would bolt right on using a Volvo one-piece intake manifold and a well designed header.<p>Adjustable-pressure electric fuel pumps are a good alternative to the lever-driven pumps on the B18/B20 (early).<p>George Dill<br>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (gdill2)

George,<p>I would like this to be a fun car to drive every day. The ultimate vision is not necessarily a hot rod, but a quick car that handles reasonably well. Step one is to get the car running smoothly and reliably (engine, fuel, brakes, etc.). Step two is to redo interior. Step three is suspension. Step four is whatever kind of speed mods I might dream up.<p>I am hoping to yank the motor and tranny out to give it all a good going over (rebuild if necessary). I'm going to check the cyl. compression this weekend, which will give me an idea of what needs to happen. In any event, a top end job is much more likely in the near term.<p>Looking at the IPD site, it seems that engine components (such as camshafts) for my car would be found in the "Vintage" rather than in the 240 section.<p>The intake and carbs that I can get my hands on are from a B18 equipped 122. Are you saying I would need to switch to a header to get this to bolt on to my engine? Where would I find one?<p>As for the adjustable electric fuel pump, would this be a volvo specific item? Sources?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (roger456)

Roger,<p>Yes, the B20 stuff will be found under the "Classic" goodies.<p>My experience tells me that once an engine/trans (of uncertain history) is out of the car it is best to work over the entire mass before re-install.<p>ipd (and others) sell a complete B20 overhaul kit (avoid the B2200 overbore).<p>Disassemble, clean, mic, machine, install kit, re-assemble, enjoy - easy!<p>If you go with a single-throat carb then a unique intake manifold will be needed for that carb application and the ipd header will bolt right on.<p>If you go with the SU's (YES!) then you have a choice of the stock Volvo one-piece intake/exhaust manifold (no header) or Volvo B18/20 intake manifold with ipd (or other) header.<p>As you may know, this discussion has been had boocoo times on this Forum and other Volvo Forums.<p>You can take this to the pros by posting a new topic at<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=17" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=17</A><p>Let's boogey!<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Roger:<p>You don't need to use a header, the exhaust manifold you have is OK and can be used with that B18 intake, you may need some shims though. If you really need (want) a header don't throw that old exhaust manifold away, they are NLA and rare as hens teeth!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (VolvoBob)

To be honest, my experience is that headers are a pain in the neck. I'll stick with the manifold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts