SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. After a considerable amount of cranking caused by a failed fuel pump inlet hose (in turn caused by a misguided attempt to install a second fuel filter before the pump - bad idea as it choked the pump), the starter started acting funny. Looked like the starter gear was not engaging the engine ring gear well, and vibrating badly. A few hours later, after the hose issue was taken care of, the starter stopped working all together. The strange thing was that the small wire had also come off from the connector on the starter solenoid, but re-installing it did not fix the problem.

Anyway, is this how these starters fail? First poorly engaging the gear, and then totally crapping out?

Fortunately, they seem to be available on the part houses (B18 and B20 should be identical, right?)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Hey guys. After a considerable amount of cranking caused by a failed fuel pump inlet hose (in turn caused by a misguided attempt to install a second fuel filter before the pump - bad idea as it choked the pump), the starter started acting funny. Looked like the starter gear was not engaging the engine ring gear well, and vibrating badly. A few hours later, after the hose issue was taken care of, the starter stopped working all together. The strange thing was that the small wire had also come off from the connector on the starter solenoid, but re-installing it did not fix the problem.

Anyway, is this how these starters fail? First poorly engaging the gear, and then totally crapping out?

Fortunately, they seem to be available on the part houses (B18 and B20 should be identical, right?)

Thanks
Right.

Autozone $84 plus $30 core DuraLast rebuilt starter.

Not many years back you could buy the windings, brushes, etc. and have a like-new starter in about 30 minutes.

Once you get the old starter off the car be sure the ring gear is not damaged. Just for grins hook up the old starter direct to see if it will spin.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The little wire that connects to the top connector gets 12 volts when the key is in the start position.

I guess I can plug the jump starring wires and see if it starts off the engine. However, I have driven the car since then, and the engine has rotated. If there was a bad tooth, it has definitely span around. I don't hear the faintest click from the starter. When my chrysler starters fail, you do hear the clicking in the solenoid trying to connect. On this one, nothing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hook up your meter to the small wire and make sure that it is getting 12 volts when you turn the switch. Also if you have 2 small tabs on the solenoid (later model starter) you may have hooked to the wrong one. Don't replace the starter until you know it's bad!
They are actually pretty sturdy, since the B30 uses pretty much the same unit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Warlus. I had tested the little wire, it was getting its 12 Volts. But I suspected that there may be another terminal. But I could not see any other terminal.

When I got the new starter, I noticed the additional terminal on the new shiny starter. Then, while the car was still on the O-Reilyes parking lot, I found the second terminal, and the starter worked, without any hesitation or vibration. Apparently, the wire was making bad contact, and that's what was causing the miss-engaging gear tooth noise, and the vibration got the contact loose. So, I did not have to drive back to O-reilyes to return the old one (I always find a parking spot that you can have gravity start the car).

The lesson of the story is: Never try to install a fuel filter up-stream the fuel pump, or the starter may fail! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts