SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post from Australia. What are the guide lines for boring an engine and minimum cylinder wall thickness. What is acceptable for the thrust side and the unloaded side. We all know that the late model block 1974-5 is a better starting point. Appreciate any suggestions. I was in New Zealand during Amercia's Cup races, it was an experience I will never forget. Steve

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
You should be okay with 3mm (.120") on the thrust side. Something else to consider, though, is how much metal is left on the block deck between the cylinder bores and the coolant port to the head. I've built a fair number of B20s with 93mm bores, and I've had problems getting a good head gasket seal with several of those in those areas. I've never had a 92mm bore engine fail to seal well.

I'm not convinced that the later blocks have more metal around the bores -- that may be one of those "common knowledge" things that isn't actually so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camshaft ware

Hi Phil,
Thank you for the response, I will let you know how it goes, While I have you, would you comment on an idea I have to reduce cam lube ware. Would it work if you cut a 3-4mm wide x 3-4 deep trench in the side of the cam follows bore on the piston side so the oil that runs down the trench is caught be the windage of the cam and draged under the cam follower.
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts