SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case someone is interested I am dealing with a guy in Sweden which has 10 sets of these original Volvo B18 oil coolers, and pipes. These were fitted on primarily the P1800, but can be used on all B18´s and B20´s for an additional cooling of the oil.

They mount right onto where your oil filter goes in, and then you screw in your oil filter to hold this in place. The metal pipe leads water into the cooler from the waterpump, and at the bottom of this oil-cooler is supposed to be a rubber hose that leads back to your radiator, with a branch to the the bottom of the engine.

My guy in Sweden doesn´t have the rubber hose hoses, but they are available from parts suppliers such as VP-Autoparts.

I'm going to buy two of these from him, so if anyone is interested in pulling together for the shipping, we can work something out together, or I can give you his details. His price is 400SEK a piece, which is currently around $47-$48. And then you'll have to add shipping onto that.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (Amazon63)

I've got at least one complete set put away, including the forked lower radiator hose. I've given at least one other complete set away.

I'm saving this in case a customer needs an engine that's 100% original for show purposes. The reason I don't use these on regular drivers is that it's scary to have only a little bit of old solder separating your coolant and oiling systems -- it's all too easy to have a failure, and an internal leak. More than one engine has been ruined this way...

That being said, I suppose the things can be refurbished and pressure tested, which would give one some level of confidence for some period of years. They do actually work quite well.

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (Phil Singher)

"Cool" oil is relative here in Texas in August.

My '68 1800S had this item and indeed the oil temp ran "cooler" during extended highway runs. In stop-n-go city traffic the engine coolant temp reached into the upper levels of safe operation and did little for reducing oil temps.

I removed the whole mess and gave it to another Volvo Lover with a "hot" B20 in a 220 wagon.

You can get a small amount of additional oil cooling by running the longer oil filter (ie Fram PH-43 in place of PH-16) if clearance allows. Be sure any filter you install has a cold-oil bypass and an anti drain-back valve.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (gdill2)

You probably get about as much oil cooling with the air blowing over the oil pan, especially if the pan is NOT leaning on the front crossmember.
(Been there, replaced $800 worth of parts to identify the noise.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (Amazon63)

Hi,
I could be interested myself if the condition of the coolers is known. Since my oil cooler started to leak and I would like to keep the car as original as possible.
Many thanks for any info about the contact (if not too late)
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi again,

Brand new to the forum, is there a section for presenting myself anywhere ?

Regarding the cooler, any info available ? decision is hard to take, keep original
with risk of "Mayonnaise" or remove

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (ClassicDriver)

Quote, originally posted by ClassicDriver »
Hi again,

Brand new to the forum, is there a section for presenting myself anywhere ?

Regarding the cooler, any info available ? decision is hard to take, keep original
with risk of "Mayonnaise" or remove

Say hello here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=8

...then share your interests here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...ge=52

...including pictures.

Where is the leak on the oil cooler on your car - oil or coolant?

George Dill

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi,
Thanks George,
At the moment the only early sign is the coolant leaking, apparently at the external seam, I may follow Irv's proposal to try to solder the seam with a soldering iron but am not too confident about my ability to do that without taking a risk of melting some other inside 40 years old soldering... I checked the worlwide "market" of Oil Cooler and got many recommandation to remove it since after 40 years that's only a very fragile piece of metal and soldering between oil & coolant... Others propose used and NOS up to $915

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (164 nut)

Quote, originally posted by 164 nut »
I have seen oil coolers for Penta B20/B30 - are they viable for automotive use?

To make this fit on a B18/20/30 in a car you would need to install a remote oil filter setup with enough plumbing to run a submarine.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

George,
Doesn't the standard filter just fit on with a longer tube into the block?
Looks like the extra plumbing would only be coolant.
Also looks a LOT sturdier than that soldered sheetmetal job for the oldtimer 1800s.
Is the problem clearance for the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (Walrus3)

These water/oil "coolers" are similar to those on early RX7s, and they didn't work that well as a cooler either. Most RX7 owners junked them and went to a regular front mount air/oil cooler, so maybe one of these would be better for the Amazon?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: B18 Volvo Oil Coolers (Phil Singher)

I guess the answer is "yes," and with a handy-to-change remote filter too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.