SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sealing up some oil leaks in the front of my B18, it appears that the crankshaft seal is leaking. IIRC, the only available seal for it was made of felt. Are there other options for this seal? It has begun to leak pretty badly after only about 250 miles.

Some guys on TB mentioned having my cover machined out to fit a better seal or buying one for a 160.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The 164/B30 cover is not a very good fit. I have machined B18/20 timing covers. Email me offlist at [username follows] gdowns [at] cableone [dot] net [nothing follows] .

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a B20F waiting for reassembly, I really don't want to put the money into the B18. However, i'm interested in a better seal for the B20 so this doesn't happen again.

I will email you when I need it for sure! How much do they usually cost?

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The B20F with its low compression ratio will not be that much stronger than a B18B (at least in terms of upper end). but if you use a think head gasket and bring it to the ~10 compression ratio, you will have better results. Are you getting the injection system on, or will you use carbs?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will use my SUs. No K-jet on this car. I've had it bored .015 over to fit some OEM pistons I found.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking that's what I'll end up doing. I have two covers anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts