SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will assume that the information that I am looking for is in an old quick thread, or it is noted somewhere (here). I know that this situation is familiar to many that are here;

I have an original, extra, rear main seal housing for a B-18. This housing/flange holds the original style rear, felt style, main seal. I recall that this housing needs to be enlarged/machined a small fraction in order to accept the later style nylon seal. Unless I used the felt seal again. -The nylon seal I assume was in a later motor, but that later motor also used the same, or similar metal housing/flange.

So, I'm looking for a spec that I can relay to the machine shop for enlarging this piece, one to mount the later style nylon seal. (Yes, I know that you can buy a new one, one that's made in "INDIA", and it already has the new seal mounted. But I like to do things the hard way).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Do you mean the rubber lip seal? Could you not just provide the seal to the machinist and have the housing cut to fit? IIRC, the seal has concentric ridges on the outside, so measuring the diameter in the valleys with the knife edges of good calipers should get the proper diameter. Pity the earlier blocks and felt seal housings don't have the locating dowels and castings to center them. Rear main seals in the days of felt seals were a real pain, since the pan should be lowered to properly center the seal housing with the SVO XXXXX tool. Be sure and pack the inside of the seal where the spring is with heavy grease to keep the spring from falling out when installing.
As long as the machinist is working on the project, maybe he could make a centering tool that can double as a seal installer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts