SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a pair of 38 DCOEs on a B20.

There are a lot of linkage options out there; can anyone recommend a best solution that relies on a single "top" throttle cable linkage? I can't see how a "bottom" linkage would work, due to the arc of the throttle cable from the firewall to the carbs. The job wold have been simplified with a crossflow head:D

TIA :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you search on youtube there are a few options. I have a RHD 69' 145 and it has a rod linkage so was pretty easy to set up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I got a few leads from the iNet. I am trying to figure out how to neatly connect the throttle cable aft the firewall to the linkage. The Redline/Weber-type rod linkage would likely work. I can't see anything other than running the cable over the engine to attach to the linkage.

This summer, I'll look over a few Volvo setups at VARA(C) races, see if anything would work (I have a very limited amount of space under the hood in this custom application).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I've got 2 x 140s with a pair of 45 DCOEs. By the way, I think 38s wouldn't allow big enough chokes. I use 36mm in my cars - both engines are modified, but not overly so - and I'm not sure they would work in 38s.

On one of mine, I extended the original vertical rod to join to the cross shaft that activates the two throttles. Works ok but for some reason the pedal vibrates like mad when off-throttle.

For the other car, I used a complete accelerator pedal unit and cable from a 240, cut down to fit the linkage on the cross shaft. We've just come back from doing a marathon rally (30 days) in the car and it performed well. Here's a link to a photo on the facebook page we made of the event. I hope it shows clearly what I did. https://www.facebook.com/307877169314730/photos/pcb.428011543967958/428011343967978/?type=1&theater

The only problem we had was the fitting I used to secure the inner cable to the linkage - it was a bit sharp edged and cut through the cable over time. When the car gets back from London, I'll revisit that.

I did extend the pedal to make heel-and-toeing better. To do that I bent some aluminium checker plate so that it fitted snuggly over the pedal but made it a lot longer. I attached it with 3 round head bolts through the plastic of the original pedal plus a big gob of silastic for luck. No problems with that.

I hope this is of some use: if I fit webers to another 140, I'd do the same again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response; because of my very limited hood/bonnet height in this application, I "may" end up using the Mangoletsi LP4241 linkage. Spendy $$, but a turnkey solution using a single, top-mounted throttle cable, and also low profile.

I'll post some pics when I figure this all out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts