SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
The amp is under the passenger seat and you can get good access by moving the front passenger seat all the way forward. Unfortunately, the stock amp will not provide a subwoofer channel. You have two options:
1) Install a B&W amp, which will have the subwoofer channel. Apparently it's inconsistent on if you will get the sub control or not - there are other threads on this.
2) Tap into a speaker wire to run a separate amp. I went this route and tapped the rear speaker wires and added a small 2 channel amp to the trunk with the OEM B&W sub.

If given the choice to do it again, I would still choose this route unless I planned on replacing all of the stock speakers with B&W speakers (and even then I believe you will need to purchase additional wiring harnesses for the additional speaker locations you don't have).
Thanks for this. That鈥檚 interesting regarding the standard amp not being compatible with a sub as others have mentioned that it is compatible and just needs the wiring connect to the correct pins in the amp block. Does your screen software show the sub vol control in the Tone settings or do you use the separate sub amp vol controls to set the output and crossover of the sub. Thanks again 馃檹

Registered
Thanks for this. That鈥檚 interesting regarding the standard amp not being compatible with a sub as others have mentioned that it is compatible and just needs the wiring connect to the correct pins in the amp block. Does your screen software show the sub vol control in the Tone settings or do you use the separate sub amp vol controls to set the output and crossover of the sub. Thanks again 馃檹
So apparently at one point in Europe, you could order the sub to be added to the standard system. It was never available in the US and even if the amp theoretically could do it, Volvo blocks it via software.

I set the equalizer settings to flat for the lowest Hz slider and then adjusted the volume and crossover at the sub amp to be where I wanted them. There are amps with a remote sub volume control, but I just played with it until I found a good level and left it alone. If I ever want more bass, I just tick up the lowest equalizer slider a notch or two. It essentially functions as my sub control.

One note - the B&W sub is 8 ohms. I couldn鈥檛 find anywhere how much power it can handle, but I am sending it about 175w RMS, and it seems to be handling that just fine. If you need help installing it, I created a guide with photos when I installed mine.

Registered
Ah ok. I鈥檓 in the UK so this could be the reason why there鈥檚 conflicting info. That makes sense. If you鈥檙e able to post that guide that鈥檇 be amazing. I was going to use the standard 4 Ohm Volvo Sub which looks exactly the same as the B&W Sub but has different coloured labels on it and won鈥檛 be as powerful but I guess it will be easier to install ! Thanks again

21 - 24 of 24 Posts