SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know exactly where the subwoofer is located in the car? I saw some diagram putting it on the right side of the cargo area. When I look there I can't see any opening, grid/mesh or anything that would help in locating it. Playing bass also doesn't sound like anything in that area. :confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would anyone know exactly where the subwoofer is located in the car? I saw some diagram putting it on the right side of the cargo area. When I look there I can't see any opening, grid/mesh or anything that would help in locating it. Playing bass also doesn't sound like anything in that area. :confused:
Useful diagram / key map here. It's an open air / free air subwoofer, so there is no box enclosure.

Edit: Sorry, see that you already have the link, but hopefully the free air answer helped.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Useful diagram / key map here. It's an open air / free air subwoofer, so there is no box enclosure.

Edit: Sorry, see that you already have the link, but hopefully the free air answer helped.
This diagram seems to confirm placement in the right rear cargo area. Subwoofer is part #21. Might be visible if you pull back the liner to expose the cargo area fuse box?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all! I am trying to figure out if it's working properly. My front passenger side speaker(s) are producing a lot of vibrations like on this thread when playing bass. I saw somewhere that having a subwoofer reduces that so it got my wondering if my subwoofer may not be working properly hence the side speaker could be receiving too much bass ...

Can anyone with B&W audio actually notice what a typical subwoofer sounds like in their trunk? I can't hear it in mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Rather than trying to hear it with music, you might find that putting a sine wave generator app on your phone and playing that would be easier. The subwoofer isn't going to get properly going until 50-60Hz and downwards. A sine wave generator can be fiddled with while you're in the back and you'll hear it clearly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rather than trying to hear it with music, you might find that putting a sine wave generator app on your phone and playing that would be easier. The subwoofer isn't going to get properly going until 50-60Hz and downwards. A sine wave generator can be fiddled with while you're in the back and you'll hear it clearly.
Yes I am using a tone generator and while the other speakers work, there no noticeable subwoofer like sound in the trunk....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes I am using a tone generator and while the other speakers work, there no noticeable subwoofer like sound in the trunk....
While I too find it is very difficult to specifically hear the sub even while perching myself in the cargo area it is indeed there and working, at least in my car. The nature of base response is such that it is completely non-directional so it is easier to "feel" than hear.....IOW, if it were taken way it would be very noticeable but because it is crossed over so low you will not hear any "boom" coming from the space through the grill opening.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
It's definitely back there. I just tried some songs and tones and the response was very noticeable. I adjusted the subwoofer volume low and high and there was a noticeable difference. Put your hand on the liner/upholstery on the right side of the cargo area and you should be able to feel it. As mentioned by @chillg8r, the tones it produces are so low that they're easier felt than heard. But that feeling definitely pervades throughout the cabin as simply adjusting the subwoofer volume while playing something makes a noticeable difference and that can be confirmed by the vibrations felt in the rear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This diagram seems to confirm placement in the right rear cargo area. Subwoofer is part #21. Might be visible if you pull back the liner to expose the cargo area fuse box?

The B&W subwoofer is on the right rear cargo area.
I ordered the subwoofer Part#21 add to my XC90 2017 T8. But the grill Part#24 was not available. I will find the way to make D.I.Y. grill. And i never seen it before. I need some photo of the grill for idea. If someone has B&W system please share the photo of grill and the position.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you mean you have a base audio system and can simply add a subwoofer without addition of an amp? please let me know if that works as I am interested to do the same

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're hearing vibrations in the passenger door then you most likely have something loose in the door panel or something loose on that side of the car that is vibrating at its resonant frequency when playing music loudly. It's possible you have a defective or blown speaker but I would say not highly likely if you have the b&w unless you've been playing it at max volume, it's a very well designed and calibrated system. Also, the speakers are fully crossed over in the b&w system such that if the subwoofer wasn't working properly, it wouldn't result in the door speakers attempting to play frequencies outside of their range, you would simply lose the frequencies that the subwoofer is supposed to be reproducing. I would guess something loose in the door panel, my 2016 developed a similar issue after about 6 months of ownership, hoping the 2017 doesn't have the same problem. Are you hearing the noise at all volumes or only when the volume is above a certain level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have recently experienced some vibrations when playing certain tracks even though my door pockets were empty. As a test I stuffed the door pockets with some towels. It does not seem that the panels were actually loose but rather that the outer edge of the pockets were resonating. The towels apparently dampen this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The B&W subwoofer is on the right rear cargo area.
I ordered the subwoofer Part#21 add to my XC90 2017 T8. But the grill Part#24 was not available. I will find the way to make D.I.Y. grill. And i never seen it before. I need some photo of the grill for idea. If someone has B&W system please share the photo of grill and the position.
Part number 24 is not required for installation of the subwoofer. It is a rubber plug that is fitted into a opening in the wheel well. If a factory subwoofer is newly fitted to the car, the plug is removed and the subwoofer vents into the opening in that wheel well. If you do not currently have a subwoofer you will already have part 24 in the car to cover the opening. No need to chase it down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Link is not working...

I would like to add the factory sub to my XC90 too, Did the subwoofer adjustment in audio settings appear after you add it? Is it just plug and play? Do you know to how to remove the boot panel trim to reveal the location? I'm newbie here...
I added the B&W amp with sub and speakers to my stock system. The 7 channel EQ did show up when the new amp was installed, but the subwoofer control did not. The sub is not currently functioning but I plan to follow up on it in the spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I added the B&W amp with sub and speakers to my stock system. The 7 channel EQ did show up when the new amp was installed, but the subwoofer control did not. The sub is not currently functioning but I plan to follow up on it in the spring.
Hi, I'm looking to add an OEM Volvo Sub to my standard 10 speaker 2015 XC90 R Design sound system but wanted to know if the Sub just plugs straight into the existing amp (under pass seat I believe) and whether the volume control for the sub can be added to the central Tone Settings display by a software update? Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to add an OEM Volvo Sub to my standard 10 speaker 2015 XC90 R Design sound system but wanted to know if the Sub just plugs straight into the existing amp (under pass seat I believe) and whether the volume control for the sub can be added to the central Tone Settings display by a software update? Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks
The amp is under the passenger seat and you can get good access by moving the front passenger seat all the way forward. Unfortunately, the stock amp will not provide a subwoofer channel. You have two options:
1) Install a B&W amp, which will have the subwoofer channel. Apparently it's inconsistent on if you will get the sub control or not - there are other threads on this.
2) Tap into a speaker wire to run a separate amp. I went this route and tapped the rear speaker wires and added a small 2 channel amp to the trunk with the OEM B&W sub.

If given the choice to do it again, I would still choose this route unless I planned on replacing all of the stock speakers with B&W speakers (and even then I believe you will need to purchase additional wiring harnesses for the additional speaker locations you don't have).

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks all! I am trying to figure out if it's working properly. My front passenger side speaker(s) are producing a lot of vibrations like on this thread when playing bass. I saw somewhere that having a subwoofer reduces that so it got my wondering if my subwoofer may not be working properly hence the side speaker could be receiving too much bass ...

Can anyone with B&W audio actually notice what a typical subwoofer sounds like in their trunk? I can't hear it in mine.
I don't know about your subwoofer, but B&W speaker covers rattle. Period. Some people might not be paying attention, but it's there. I have had three different SPA cars with B&W - and I have driven at least five loaners with B&W and sit in a dozen other SPA cars with B&W - they all rattle between 62 and 65 Hz. ALL of them, all in the same way. Maybe it's my extreme bad luck. Maybe there are some that don't rattle. But I have never heard one.
It's always the lower speakers in the front doors, it's always worse on the passenger side, and, with the re-designed metal speakers, it's also the covers on top of the doors. The propaganda you hear here from people talking about how great it is as a system is either dishonest, or, frankly, coming from people who have been listening to streamed music and MP3s for the past decade.

Your subwoofer may or may not be faulty (remember - it is hard to pinpoint the source of low frequency sounds, that's just the way our ears are built), but that has nothing to do with the rattle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts