SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a setting for it, and searching the forums yields no results. If B&W does not offer this it would be surprising; every car my wife and I have owned, and almost all we have rented on trips in the past 20 years have had it on both standard and upgraded audio systems.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I noticed the same thing, no speed compensating volume was added to this cars...I still think they made a mistake not adding this functionality. However, you don't need much adjustment between low-street speed and highway cruising...which speaks good things for the car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It does have volume adjustment for speed. The owner's manual refers to it as dynamic calibration, under the sound settings.

It's most noticeable if you have start/stop enabled and come to a complete stop. You'll hear the volume dip and then pick back up when the engine re-engages.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have volume adjustment for speed. The owner's manual refers to it as dynamic calibration, under the sound settings.

It's most noticeable if you have start/stop enabled and come to a complete stop. You'll hear the volume dip and then pick back up when the engine re-engages.
Thanks, I'll look it up. I hope it also works when going from, say 35 to 75 to 50 mph without having to manually adjust the volume as I do now.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Are you looking at the manual for B&W option? Mine doesn't have that under the sound settings...or anywhere else I looked.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's not a setting you can toggle on and off, it's just built-in.
The manual leads you to believe it is adjustable though

·
Registered
911 Posts
The manual leads you to believe it is adjustable though

"System Volumes" relates to notification sounds like voice control, park assist, etc. Those can be adjusted.

The description of "dynamic calibration" is under the "Optimal sound reproduction" header in the owner's manual.

Which owner's manual are you looking at, and have you made sure it's been updated? Mine is for the 2019 V90cc and is the most up to date version.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I have a decibal meter built into the apple watch I picked up yesterday. I used it this morning. There was a slight but measurable increase in the volume level when going from stop (set at half, it was around 80-85 dB) to when moving at 70mph on the freeway (without changing the volume, the watch registered the sound level between 86-91 dB).

Other things I learned: Despite not seeming super-loud (it takes a lot of power to drive the kevlar and carbon fiber cones), the B&W system is more than capable of hitting levels that will cause temporary damage to your hearing after just a few minutes of listening.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a decibal meter built into the apple watch I picked up yesterday. I used it this morning. There was a slight but measurable increase in the volume level when going from stop (set at half, it was around 80-85 dB) to when moving at 70mph on the freeway (without changing the volume, the watch registered the sound level between 86-91 dB).

Other things I learned: Despite not seeming super-loud (it takes a lot of power to drive the kevlar and carbon fiber cones), the B&W system is more than capable of hitting levels that will cause temporary damage to your hearing after just a few minutes of listening.
Do you not hear the change in volume from a stop? It's a pretty distinct increase to my ears. I actually think they should revise how it works because it's very abrupt. Other cars I've had or driven have a much more gradual change.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
No, I have not noticed a substantial volume change from a stop/using auto start/stop in my car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
No, I have not noticed a substantial volume change from a stop/using auto start/stop in my car.
It is easier to tell with volume cranked up half way, the bass gets greatly reduced...don't quite like it and I'm not sure it is speed compensation, I relate that to battery charge savings...although I have no proof of it.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
My AC fan cuts down in speed a bit, but I get no loss of volume from the infotainment system when stopping/starting the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts