SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've read some of the owners manual on this, but can you guys tell me how the sound settings with the B&W system work? Specifically, there are 3 sound stages (studio, individual, and concert), but you can also go into sound settings--tone, and adjust bass, treble, and subwoofer, and THEN drill down again for equalizer settings (custom or premade). I think I read that certain levels of setting (?sound stage) trumps other settings. For example, if I make my own custom EQ setting but then adjust bass/treble, does that mess up the EQ settings? And does the sound stage not use any of those settings?

Also, do you all notice a big difference in volume, sound quality, and bass when switching from one source to another? For example, sound quality is much better on streaming music or radio, than Sirius XM (not a surprise). But, the bass is much more exaggerated on Sirius so it rocks the door panels there, whereas it sounds perfect from the other sources.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll be following this thread as I should be taking delivery on my Inscription with B&W this week. One of the things I'm most excited about is hearing the B&W system. I bought it with that option having not heard it live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is there really no fix on the door panel yet? I was hoping to fix that when I went in for the update.

I use all 3 sound stages, but leave most other settings at neutral to avoid door rattle. Real bummer because on my prev 10 year old super rattle car with after market sound, I could crank base as loud as I want and it didn't cause rattle (just road bumps did).

With this 65k car with upgraded sound I can't pump up the bass even a bit without increasing my door rattle a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the B&W system. Also ordered it without hearing it and it was definitely worth the $$! I'll be following this thread too to see if there are any better settings then the neutral setting I have used until now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I used Studio experience and turned down bass and subwoofer to neutral or a bit below (in sound settings). I turned treble up as I like a crisper sound. I also unchecked "enable" (i.e. disabled) on the equalizer dropdown to take that out of the equation. I think the bass/treble/subwoofer tone settings are more gross adjustments and the EQ dropdown, including custom setting, is more granular/detailed (kind of obvious, I guess).

To my ears, the net result was more consistent, and pleasurable, sound between sources (sat radio, FM, Bluetooth stream, CarPlay). I realized bass still sounded good, and less over-bearing in Sirius, on this system even when I turned it down as described above. One thing to note: from past experience, I believe the iPhone music EQ settings govern the sound settings being output to CarPlay. So, that may be a reason why sound seemed more consistent across sources i.e. I have bass turned up on iPhone and turned down in Sensus to correct for bass-bias in Sirius.

Sorry this is long; just my experience so far.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I'm reading some comments above, you guys may have figured it out without realizing it! Keep tone settings on neutral for most listening tastes. Are your EQ settings not enabled?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the dynamic setting on the eq and everything else flat. but everyone will have their own tastes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes you can adjust bass, subwoofer and treble further even if you have an eq setting on

·
Registered
260 Posts
I played with the EQ and stage setting a lot when I spent 30+ minutes A/B'ing standard vs B&W system.

IMHO, start with everything flat first. With Studio setting, this is the "purest" way of listening to the recording, the way the producer / artist meant to have it heard.

With classical music, you might find that you'd like the Gothenburg setting because it gives you a bigger feeling of space. With regular pop, you might find that a lot of songs sounds more surround-like with the individual, with the surround set at half-way.

From there, feel free to tweak the EQ to your liking. But if you find that after some tweaking, it sounds worse, go back to the beginning and start from there. Alternatively, if what you're wanting is more thump, just increase the Subwoofer volume, and just a bit of the lowest frequency on the EQ. Just remember to adjust ONE THING AT A TIME, using a source music that you know well! Don't adjust with music that you're not as familiar with. All of us should have a "go to" song that we can compare all our systems to.

As for music source, I do notice a quality difference between BT and straight lightning connector on my iPhone. This is using songs mastered for iTunes. The difference in clarity is more perceptible when you're going back and forth a bit. But otherwise, BT works great for most people.

Hope that helps :),

Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts