SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Keep the 17 or get the 18

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'd go in and speak to General Manager in person. Let him know what happened, that you had put a deposit on the vehicle you saw on the lot, and sales person sold it out from under you. Would he work with you on getting in a car from elsewhere that met you expectations.

Never hurts to ask. Would win them over some more money if you upgraded and keep you happy, too.
Oh. There's some confusion. The sales manager where I bought my 2017 told me they don't trade used cars. The GM of the dealership where the sh*ttiest salesman is knows the whole story. And I wrote the owner an email and CCed him on it. Maybe I should take it as a sign as this is the second time in as many weeks I lost a car.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
It's a MOOT point now! I left a 1k deposit with the dealership, was trying to negotiate getting the steering wheel installed, salesman said I told him I wasn't going through with the deal if I didn't get it for $455 installed so he took it upon himself to take someone else's deposit. Is that even allowed? I spoke to the GM and he was so professional I couldn't be mad at him cause it wasn't his fault. Needless to say I'm livid right now.
Congrats, you just discovered deposits don't mean ****.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Oh. There's some confusion. The sales manager where I bought my 2017 told me they don't trade used cars. The GM of the dealership where the sh*ttiest salesman is knows the whole story. And I wrote the owner an email and CCed him on it. Maybe I should take it as a sign as this is the second time in as many weeks I lost a car.
Well you really didn't "lose a car". Sure, it was a dick move on the salesperson's part. But look at the opposite viewpoint. You put a deposit but didn't sign a contract. Someone came in willing to buy it immediately and commit. So the salesperson, wanting to make a living, went ahead and sold the car. From his perspective, if you could have decided against purchase, backed out, and requested your $1000 be returned. You hadn't signed a contract, and the other buyer did.

So I see his viewpoint. Was it a dick move? Sure, but he wants to make a living and can't live off Maybe's.

Reason I suggested the General Manager was he might be accommodating given the situation, and try to bring in another vehicle to once again make you happy, and generate another sale. If I were in charge, that'd be my objective. Far as the salesperson goes, can always work with another one as I stated.

Seems too bad though, this dealer doesn't seem motivated to accommodate your request to bring in another vehicle, now that the one you wanted is gone.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Congrats, you just discovered deposits don't mean ****.

Deposit = Refundable, No contract Signed, and noncommittal. OP could have changed his mind and asked for a return of his money at any time.

Someone came along, offered to purchase the vehicle, sign the paperwork, and generate a definite sale. Dick move on salesperson's part. Yes. But business is business. Salespeople don't pay their bills on "Maybe's"

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I am sorry... but if that's the case... what is the point of a deposit?
I am not trying to be facetious... I have not lived in the USA for long - I am still puzzled by how complicated the whole process of buying a car seems to be, in this country, to be honest.... For the couple of cars I bought here, I have never put down a deposit, so I have zero experience in this regard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not trying to be facetious... I have not lived in the USA for long - I am still puzzled by how complicated the whole process of buying a car seems to be, in this country, to be honest.... For the couple of cars I bought here, I have never put down a deposit, so I have zero experience in this regard.
A non-refundable deposit and written contract, locks you in. A deposit sets you aside from the tire kickers and test drivers that come in every day. They will probably not actively market the car (but who knows if there is no contract). I have had sales people tell me that there was a deposit on a vehicle before. To me that says that if I wanted it, there is no negotiating and I would have to pay the asking price or better. I never look at those as I like to negotiate the price as low as possible.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Recourse, I doubt he has any. Bad business practice, Yes. More of a I'll take my money elsewhere from now on situation if this is how you treat customers. Assuming the General Manager (which it sounds like) has no plans to help make the situation "right", by finding another vehicle.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
A non-refundable deposit and written contract, locks you in. A deposit sets you aside from the tire kickers and test drivers that come in every day. They will probably not actively market the car (but who knows if there is no contract). I have had sales people tell me that there was a deposit on a vehicle before. To me that says that if I wanted it, there is no negotiating and I would have to pay the asking price or better. I never look at those as I like to negotiate the price as low as possible.
Or let's say you put down a deposit, and negotiated a sale price of $48k, but not yet signed paperwork. Someone comes along and offers $50k. Your deposit is getting returned in favor of the highest bidder that has committed to the sale and signed paperwork.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
It is pointless to put down a deposit and then still be negotiating on price. That's what the OP did here. Maybe he thought throwing some dollars on the table was supposed to show he was serious, but the other guy signing the contract was more serious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mistake not to get B&W. But I'd pass on air suspension. Ours required several thousands of dollars of out-of-warranty repair, albeit we only had the factory warranty. It's one reason we got rid of our 2016 at 87,000 miles...it was simply becoming way too expensive to maintain. As an aside, Volvo dealer offered us $17k for a trade, Subaru offered us $23k. So you can guess what's in our driveway now :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well you really didn't "lose a car". Sure, it was a dick move on the salesperson's part. But look at the opposite viewpoint. You put a deposit but didn't sign a contract. Someone came in willing to buy it immediately and commit. So the salesperson, wanting to make a living, went ahead and sold the car. From his perspective, if you could have decided against purchase, backed out, and requested your $1000 be returned. You hadn't signed a contract, and the other buyer did.

So I see his viewpoint. Was it a dick move? Sure, but he wants to make a living and can't live off Maybe's.

Reason I suggested the General Manager was he might be accommodating given the situation, and try to bring in another vehicle to once again make you happy, and generate another sale. If I were in charge, that'd be my objective. Far as the salesperson goes, can always work with another one as I stated.

Seems too bad though, this dealer doesn't seem motivated to accommodate your request to bring in another vehicle, now that the one you wanted is gone.
Nobody said the other guy signed a contract. Here's what was in the salesman's email:

"Being a salesman, I did call that client after our phone call and he was very happy to hear the vehicle being available and left a deposit. I will certainly let you know if anything falls through on his end."

So he most likely didn't sign a contract as the prick said he'd get back to me if it fell through. Just him thinking I'd ever talk to him again gets me angry.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Well **** walks and money talks so obviously the other guy was offering more of the later and the salesman didn't want to deal with more of the former.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well **** walks and money talks so obviously the other guy was offering more of the later and the salesman didn't want to deal with more of the former.

Plain and simple the guy just treated my deposit frivolously and went with the easier buyer. No principles.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Lol, you are gullible to think he ever did.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Yeah, a salesman should not be taking deposits from people without a signed deal - that just leads to hard feelings all the way around.

Bright side, the car was the wrong color and didn't have the heated wheel and owning an air suspension car out of warranty is $$$$ to fix so maybe keep looking for something that checks all the boxes - these cars are pretty plentiful so not hard to track down.

Reactions: Maddmike

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Nobody said the other guy signed a contract. Here's what was in the salesman's email:

"Being a salesman, I did call that client after our phone call and he was very happy to hear the vehicle being available and left a deposit. I will certainly let you know if anything falls through on his end."

So he most likely didn't sign a contract as the prick said he'd get back to me if it fell through. Just him thinking I'd ever talk to him again gets me angry.
Someone came along with a better offer and with intentions to purchase immediately. You left a non binding deposit. Which could be rescinded by you at any time. So the vehicle "wasn't sold" in the eyes of the salesperson. He was merely "holding it" until you decided to bite or a better offer came along. A better offer came along and he sold it..

Illegal? Doubtful, you had a deposit not a contract in writing. Amoral? Well sales is cut throat. He burned you as a future customer, but he made a sale to another individual.

Apparently, he gambled on you not being serious or fully committed and the new buyer being eager and ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Yeah, a salesman should not be taking deposits from people without a signed deal - that just leads to hard feelings all the way around.

Bright side, the car was the wrong color and didn't have the heated wheel and owning an air suspension car out of warranty is $$$$ to fix so maybe keep looking for something that checks all the boxes - these cars are pretty plentiful so not hard to track down.
A contract in writing would have been idea, spelling out the terms of the deposit. However, since it appears neither OP nor salesperson had an agreement in writing, this lets the salesperson off the hook. He sold car, refunds OP his $1k, and both go about their lives.

Will this win him a customer service award? Nope. However, sales is cut throat and this salesperson saw dollar signs. Money talks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'd go in and speak to General Manager in person. Let him know what happened, that you had put a deposit on the vehicle you saw on the lot, and sales person sold it out from under you. Would he work with you on getting in a car from elsewhere that met you expectations.

Never hurts to ask. Would win them over some more money if you upgraded and keep you happy, too.
I wrote the GM an email today after writing one to the owner last night (this is a long distance deal) in which I threw the salesman under the bus and praised the GM. I did find a similar car I'd like at another dealership so I followed your advice and asked if he could get it for me and continue our transaction.

We'll see what happens. Hes been a straight shooter throughout the situation but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I wrote the GM an email today after writing one to the owner last night (this is a long distance deal) in which I threw the salesman under the bus and praised the GM. I did find a similar car I'd like at another dealership so I followed your advice and asked if he could get it for me and continue our transaction.

We'll see what happens. Hes been a straight shooter throughout the situation but I'm not holding my breath.
Look at this situation as a life lesson. We all get these bumps and bruises. Sales isn't a pretty business, and while you like to think people have scruples, money talks.

Now that you have found a car, you have two options:

1. Contact dealer directly, and find out their "offer". Could do via email so to have in writing. Depending on distance from where you live, you could price two things:

A. First, ask and see what they'd sell the car for (negotiate).
B. Bring up your trade AFTER settling on a price.

If the deal is right, you could take a little road trip to get your new car from them. Cutting out middleman.

2. Convey to the GM at present dealership your level of seriousness about purchasing vehicle. And see if he'd get it with a trade. You can always use offer from #1 to try and see how much this dealer would budge on the price. But of course, make sure they agree to buying your car back less $1500 before any haggling.

Always a bad idea to bring up a trade BEFORE settling on a price. Otherwise, dealers will make this work towards their advantage and not yours.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts