SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Keep the 17 or get the 18

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I originally bought a 2016 R-Design when they first came out right off the truck when it was delivered to the dealer... later on after reading about the options I regretted not getting Air and B&W...

Eventually I ended up selling the 2016 and getting a 2018 with all of the options. Both options were well worth it and I am happy I did it.
How big of a bath did you take if any?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do it! Coming from a MY16 Inscription to a MY18 Inscription with Air, B&W and P*, it feels like a completely different car.

With the trade-in you may be able to take advantage of some of the tax breaks that come with it (depending where you live).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok. You guys obviously aren't money/business managers. 🤣
If we bring it down to our numbers the combo is a 5k option. So is it worth $10k? Would you guys trade up? That's almost a james Cameron DSSD.

Both vehicles have in service date of late 2017 so same warranty length.

PROS
Color I like

CONS
No B&W and air suspension
Fire elm wood inlay trim

PROS
Has the major options I want

CONS
10k more
Don't really like the exterior color (black)
No heated steering wheel
You are correct. 😁

Every time I get into our cars I have a great audio experience, doesn't matter if it's rock, rap, classical, jazz, or a podcast. The B&W system is worth it to me as every time I go somewhere, doesn't matter if it's a 10min drive or 3hr, my audio sounds wonderful. Yes, the HK system is good but the imaging of the B&W is really, really, good. These cars are pretty much one and done meaning, you're most likely never going to change it so, why not get the best available and be done with it (no regrets). Obviously my opinion and I never give financial advice, I just do what makes me happy and keeps us safe (hence Volvo).

Black looks amazing for about 3 seconds after it's been properly washed then, the dust settles (both of mine are black). Missing the heated wheel does stink but I feel a 2018 is a bit nicer than the 2016/2017.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do it! Coming from a MY16 Inscription to a MY18 Inscription with Air, B&W and P*, it feels like a completely different car.

With the trade-in you may be able to take advantage of some of the tax breaks that come with it (depending where you live).
Agree. My MY18 Inscription has air, B&W, P* and it feels very different than my 2016 with the same spec without P*. P* is getting installed while at the dealer so hopefully it feels a bit closer to my MY18.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For me both B&W and air suspension would the feature on top of the list. Some other things I could do without, but those both are a must.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Wait for new stock of CPO cars that have heated steering wheel too. You will miss it in winter.

As you will trade-in for another one, a little more wait doesn't matter. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends where you live but no heated steering wheel seems a miss for another 10K, assuming 2017 has it. I like my air suspension/B&W/massaging heated seats/trailer hitch, and not sure what it like without them.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I have buyers remorse about not getting the bowers and air suspension.

I just bought a CPO MY17 with 44k miles on it. Bought it for 41k.

I'm looking at a CPO MY18 with 39k miles and has a selling price of 49k and they'll give me 39.5k.

I know it's not pragmatic.

Take a vote.
If you read the forum, a lot of people swear by the air suspension and Bowers. Personal preference. Can't speak directly as I don't own an Xc90, but I suggest you do a little searching here to form your opinion.

$1500 loss isn't really that much considering you have buyers remorse. Maybe haggle with them on price of the MY 18 and see what happens. Can also cross shop and use that information to try and get dealer to lower price of MY 18 CPO to offset that $1500 should you choose to upgrade. Or cross shop and haggle on a 2019 if you can find a deal and get dealer to match.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Really itd be a 20k hit cause in a year the 18 would drop in value to about 40k and I doubt the 17 would drop as precipitously. Ugh. First world problems.
You're talking about a 20K spend spread over 4 years? That's $5/year? While it's not a "LOT" per se, it's certainly isn't just a first world problem.

I'm in an '18 with warranty that'll expire this year and I know there are a lot of us constantly doing this type of valuation regarding car/Volvo ownership. It'd be great to get into a '19 T8, but I have no payments on the truck now and $20K could purchase something much more fun than a soccer mom vehicle..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I like the 2018 option. Good luck deciding what you like

Better yet, you could custom order or OSD a new XC90 to get exactly what you want -or- opt to wait and search for used XC90s until you find exactly what you're looking for.

Just have no regrets!

·
Registered
556 Posts
How big of a bath did you take if any?
Not too much, had the 2016 for two years and after trading it in to Carmax and getting all of the available discounts on the 2018 it was just over $5k to trade up. Since I was getting air suspension, B&W, along with all other options plus the warranty on a new car it was a no brainer deal for me. At the time the discounts on the 2018 were substantial... about $13k off MSRP! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the air but no B&W on my 2016 T8. The B&W would have been nice but not very many out there at the time I bought. I'm holding out for either spa2 or a used 2020, 2021 with the larger fuel tank. The fuel tank would be a game changer for vacation drives.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's a MOOT point now! I left a 1k deposit with the dealership, was trying to negotiate getting the steering wheel installed, salesman said I told him I wasn't going through with the deal if I didn't get it for $455 installed so he took it upon himself to take someone else's deposit. Is that even allowed? I spoke to the GM and he was so professional I couldn't be mad at him cause it wasn't his fault. Needless to say I'm livid right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a MOOT point now! I left a 1k deposit with the dealership, was trying to negotiate getting the steering wheel installed, salesman said I told him I wasn't going through with the deal if I didn't get it for $455 installed so he took it upon himself to take someone else's deposit. Is that even allowed? I spoke to the GM and he was so professional I couldn't be mad at him cause it wasn't his fault. Needless to say I'm livid right now.
Well, that dealer sucks. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where he had a rental car reservation and there was no car available.

On the air suspension, I was convinced from this forum I needed to have the air suspension. I could not find a new T8 Inscription with it but I was able to test drive one and I really didn't notice a difference in ride quality. I wanted it for when I go off road for additional clearance. I know they changed the suspension a bit for the '20 refresh so maybe it is apples and oranges but on my '21 the ride is pretty good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
On a new car, B&W option is/was $32k, air suspension is about $2k. But for a stock car, usually ventilated seats are also added, another $4k. Does the MY2018 have ventilated seats?

Yes. Both cars have vent seats which I thought all inscription trim did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wait for new stock of CPO cars that have heated steering wheel too. You will miss it in winter.

As you will trade-in for another one, a little more wait doesn't matter. :)

That's exactly what I'm gonna have to do now. But at that point I'm probably gonna have to keep the current one cause I know don't have it in me to lose more than $1.5k for owning the car only a few months. Thanks sh*ttiest salesman of the year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not too much, had the 2016 for two years and after trading it in to Carmax and getting all of the available discounts on the 2018 it was just over $5k to trade up. Since I was getting air suspension, B&W, along with all other options plus the warranty on a new car it was a no brainer deal for me. At the time the discounts on the 2018 were substantial... about $13k off MSRP! :)
$5K to trade up...sweet deal.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Imagine so long as you didn't sign a contract, a dealer is free to sell it off to whomever and simply refund your money. Pretty crappy of that sales person. I'd definitely not deal with him again at all! Politely let him know he's lost you as his customer and you'll work with someone else.

None the less, some dealers are more than willing to bring in a car from afar. Scour Cargurus, Volvo Website for CPO's, and see if you can find a vehicle that matches the one sold. Often, dealers will trade inventory with one another if they know the car will get bought.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Imagine so long as you didn't sign a contract, a dealer is free to sell it off to whomever and simply refund your money. Pretty crappy of that sales person. I'd definitely not deal with him again at all! Politely let him know he's lost you as his customer and you'll work with someone else.

None the less, some dealers are more than willing to bring in a car from afar. Scour Cargurus, Volvo Website for CPO's, and see if you can find a vehicle that matches the one sold. Often, dealers will trade inventory with one another if they know the car will get bought.
I asked the sales manager of the dealership I bought it at and they said they only do this for new cars. Is that total horsesh*t?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I asked the sales manager of the dealership I bought it at and they said they only do this for new cars. Is that total horsesh*t?
I'd go in and speak to General Manager in person. Let him know what happened, that you had put a deposit on the vehicle you saw on the lot, and sales person sold it out from under you. Would he work with you on getting in a car from elsewhere that met you expectations.

Never hurts to ask. Would win them over some more money if you upgraded and keep you happy, too.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts