SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Keep the 17 or get the 18

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have buyers remorse about not getting the bowers and air suspension.

I just bought a CPO MY17 with 44k miles on it. Bought it for 41k.

I'm looking at a CPO MY18 with 39k miles and has a selling price of 49k and they'll give me 39.5k.

I know it's not pragmatic.

Take a vote.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Why I never buy cars with missing options...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RootDKJ

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I did.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
All things considered it's a $1500 mistake.. if you're the type to keep the car a long time I think you'll be happier with the correct options. If this car was only gonna be for a year or two then you should wait.

It's not $10k just for B&W and air though... it's also a year more warranty. For the 18, if you click the carfax you can get the full window sticker and make sure it really has everything else (an perhaps a few new things).

Personally I'd want a 2019... you get the faster computer and you can turn start/stop off... so perhaps my vote is to keep and enjoy yours until you find a 2019 that fits the budget.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I too didn't realize you actually had a poll... I stated my variables, but on it's face I think the 18 is better than keeping what ya got.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All things considered it's a $1500 mistake.. if you're the type to keep the car a long time I think you'll be happier with the correct options. If this car was only gonna be for a year or two then you should wait.

It's not $10k just for B&W and air though... it's also a year more warranty. For the 18, if you click the carfax you can get the full window sticker and make sure it really has everything else (an perhaps a few new things).

Personally I'd want a 2019... you get the faster computer and you can turn start/stop off... so perhaps my vote is to keep and enjoy yours until you find a 2019 that fits the budget.
I cant get any dealers to budge on the 19s. Extra tank space would be nice too.
Really itd be a 20k hit cause in a year the 18 would drop in value to about 40k and I doubt the 17 would drop as precipitously. Ugh. First world problems.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Well like I suggested you could drive yours for a little bit then trade it in when the 19s drop. If you're looking at the 18 at the same dealer that you got the 17 from they're probably just trying to help you out... if you're at a different dealer and only facing a $1500 trade loss then you got an incredible deal on the 17 up front. Not all deals are going to be incredible... but an incredible deal on the wrong car isn't an incredible deal either =-D

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have buyers remorse about not getting the bowers and air suspension.

I just bought a CPO MY17 with 44k miles on it. Bought it for 41k.

I'm looking at a CPO MY18 with 39k miles and has a selling price of 49k and they'll give me 39.5k.

I know it's not pragmatic.

Take a vote.
Short answer for the short term: yes, worth it for both.

Our 2017 XC90 has neither. Our 2021 has both. The B&W system is outstanding and worth every penny. Unfortunately rattles will occur at spirited music with bass. Notably it will be in the front door pockets. I'm still trying to find a fix for it. It really ruins the sound experience.

The air suspension really shines in off road on gravel/rocky terrain. Driving roads and highway speed makes it feel more floaty and less jarring over road bumps than the standard suspension. I do fear that the air suspension will fail before the factory warranty. I have the VIP platinum coverage and the consensus is that the air suspension springs are covered... but I'm not completely believing that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 CPO XC90 T6 Inscription AWD (my first Volvo), which happens to have B&W, Polestar, and the air suspension.

I actually think it’s a bit harsh compared to other cars with air suspension I’ve had (2004 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged), in part because of the 21-inch wheels. Other than the fact that it lets the car squat for easier ingress, egress and cargo loading, I don’t know that I’d have specifically sought it out.

B&W, however, is totally worth it.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
On a new car, B&W option is/was $32k, air suspension is about $2k. But for a stock car, usually ventilated seats are also added, another $4k. Does the MY2018 have ventilated seats?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
As someone who owns two SPA XC90 Inscriptions with Air and B&W (2016 & 2018), yes, it is worth it. I have a loaner 2020 XC90 without either, while my 2016 is being serviced. and I don't drive it because my 2018 is a nicer vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. You guys obviously aren't money/business managers. 🤣
If we bring it down to our numbers the combo is a 5k option. So is it worth $10k? Would you guys trade up? That's almost a james Cameron DSSD.

Both vehicles have in service date of late 2017 so same warranty length.

PROS
Color I like

CONS
No B&W and air suspension
Fire elm wood inlay trim

PROS
Has the major options I want

CONS
10k more
Don't really like the exterior color (black)
No heated steering wheel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well like I suggested you could drive yours for a little bit then trade it in when the 19s drop. If you're looking at the 18 at the same dealer that you got the 17 from they're probably just trying to help you out... if you're at a different dealer and only facing a $1500 trade loss then you got an incredible deal on the 17 up front. Not all deals are going to be incredible... but an incredible deal on the wrong car isn't an incredible deal either =-D
No not true. I got jacked. I've seen same year and similar miled6 with B&W and air for only $1.5k more.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
B&W - Not worth it (my own personal, subjective, opinion)
Air - Yes, three times yes

10k... hardly, in my opinion. But I do like air on this car... it can be a bit rough otherwise... so I would not overthink it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have to agree with the prior comment, and go for a '19 or newer. The inability to turn off the start stop is a big deal, at least for me. So I won't vote for a choice you don't have.

One comment about the B&W - if you don't crank up the volume, it is not worth it. I usually cannot crank up the volume as it drives my Avatar crazy if I do.

But the air ride is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone who opts for and is willing to pay for the B&W needs to really spend a lot of time in their car maybe for business etc., and more importantly be an audiophile. The stock Harmon Kardon on my vehicle sounds amazing in my eyes but then again my standards aren’t very high as far as car audio having come from a 2010 VW CC Sport. I decided to spend the additional money on pretty much every other option available. But to each his own.

Forgot to say I did hear that the 21 release stock audio system is much improved so maybe that’s why I’m satisfied and don’t regret not upgrading.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I originally bought a 2016 R-Design when they first came out right off the truck when it was delivered to the dealer... later on after reading about the options I regretted not getting Air and B&W...

Eventually I ended up selling the 2016 and getting a 2018 with all of the options. Both options were well worth it and I am happy I did it.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts