SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription. I'm going OSD in Feb '16. I still have time to make changes and can't decide whether or not to upgrade to the B&W sound system and/or the 21" rims. I do plan to keep this car for 10 years or so. Just not sure if it's worth the money. So far this is what I have ordered: Crystal white, 20" rims, amber interior with black headliner, convenience package, vision package, 4-corner air suspension, integrated center booster.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I can't claim to be a great audiophile but I've read that the B & W sound system is good value for what it is. Judging by photos the 20 inch wheels look fine and 21 inch ones will likely degrade the ride slightly.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If you love music, get the B & W system....it is phenomenal. Trust me. If you listen to talk radio or XM radio exclusively, then skip. But there is no denying it's one of the top factory systems found in a car, and much cheaper than many other premium systems.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Cost of 21" tires is significantly much more expensive than 20" tires. Keep this in mind. Plus there seems to be more tire choices for the 20" size than the 21" size.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It will be virtually impossible for you to upgrade to B&W sound system later even if you wanted to. It would be technically very complex even if you're willing to shoulder the great expense. MSRP is $2,650 for the B&W package but you'd likely pay $5k+ at your Volvo dealer to buy all the components separately and get them installed and programmed assuming Volvo even allows you update your car to B&W spec (they control all the software downloads required to activate modules). Even if you got lucky and found salvage parts from a crashed XC90 you might be able to physically install them but your Volvo dealer might not be willing to program them to make them work.

It'll take just 30 minutes to fit a set of secondhand 21" wheels down the road if you so choose.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've got the 20' wheels and the B&W sound system, and I REALLY like both. I would recommend to go for this and, if you then decide that you miss the extra inch, you can always "upgrade" the wheels in 4/5 years when they will wear down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We went with the 21's and the standard sound system (which is NO SLOUCH). My wife won't be bumping any Easy-E or Dr. Dre.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a FE with 21s and b&w. Really like both and I am not into large rims usually. But I love these and the proportions feel great on this car. Also not an audiophile but really appreciate the b&w. I'm glad I have both and am pretty sure if I didn't it would be nagging at me.

That said I'm also contemplating a set of 20s for a non-dedicated winter/alternate wheel setup.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
I love my BW system. But if you do not consider yourself a music lover, or you have never listened to a stereo system that gave you goosebumps, then I would skip it.

Unless you like the look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to upgrade to the B&W sound system. This is going to be my wife's car/family car. We are 25 without children (yet) and really enjoy turning up the music from time to time (I prefer talk radio). It's our first new car purchase and we want to make the right choices, especially since we plan to keep it for 10 years. As far as the rims I am trying to justify them to my wife. If I get 21" with 50k or 60k mile warranty they should last us 4 to 5 years. I won't really mind paying a high price if I will only need to put on 1 maybe 2 sets of tires. But I also don't really want to hinder ride quality too much.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I recently ordered a 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription. I'm going OSD in Feb '16. I still have time to make changes and can't decide whether or not to upgrade to the B&W sound system and/or the 21" rims. I do plan to keep this car for 10 years or so. Just not sure if it's worth the money. So far this is what I have ordered: Crystal white, 20" rims, amber interior with black headliner, convenience package, vision package, 4-corner air suspension, integrated center booster.
Congrats on your order! I also have a Crystal White Inscription w/ 21" + B&W + Vision + Booster + Décor Frames. I am also planning on keeping the car for at least 5-7 years. Thus I had to get the B&W system because I love music. I might be approaching 38 years old and with 2 boys...but I still love hip hop, EDM, pop :)

I also think the center tweeter is a conversation piece. Personally, I didn't like the look of the turbine 20" rims and the 21" in my opinion aesthetically look much better. I know the ride without the Air Suspension and the 21" might be a little rough but I'm more worried about the Air Suspension future maintenance costs. The upfront cost of the 21" is not much for a better look and the worst case price so far for tire replacement is around $320 per tire from the dealer from what I read. Someone here got a flat..and I think it was around $320 installed. Yes, we are limited with options but I think we should see more in the coming year as the xc90 becomes more popular. I am also planning on getting the Wheel and Tire warranty so please reply on what you find out on the cost of the warranty.

My car currently has a US port date of 11/19 and I ordered on 7/24.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Congrats on your order! I also have a Crystal White Inscription w/ 21" + B&W + Vision + Booster + Décor Frames. I am also planning on keeping the car for at least 5-7 years. Thus I had to get the B&W system because I love music. I might be approaching 38 years old and with 2 boys...but I still love hip hop, EDM, pop :)

I also think the center tweeter is a conversation piece. Personally, I didn't like the look of the turbine 20" rims and the 21" in my opinion aesthetically look much better. I know the ride without the Air Suspension and the 21" might be a little rough but I'm more worried about the Air Suspension future maintenance costs. The upfront cost of the 21" is not much for a better look and the worst case price so far for tire replacement is around $320 per tire from the dealer from what I read. Someone here got a flat..and I think it was around $320 installed. Yes, we are limited with options but I think we should see more in the coming year as the xc90 becomes more popular. I am also planning on getting the Wheel and Tire warranty so please reply on what you find out on the cost of the warranty.

My car currently has a US port date of 11/19 and I ordered on 7/24.
We have 21" wheels without air suspension. I will say that you do feel the road, you really feel it. My Porsche Macan with 21" wheels, without air suspension and driving in the most aggressive suspension setting Sport Plus is more refined and a bit more forgiving than our XC90 in comfort mode. I will say that you do get used to it, and my wife doesn't notice, so it's all good. But yo will feel the road, and it will jar you when you hit any potholes of consequence. I love the look of the wheels though, so I'd do it again.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
... If I get 21" with 50k or 60k mile warranty they should last us 4 to 5 years.
You may want to double check how long the tires last. The original tires on my XC90 barely lasted 12K. The next two sets of tires also lasted roughly the same. The last set of tires was the longer lasting at roughly 25K. We do not drive it hard - the car is just heavy. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't count on them lasting 50-60k miles.

Hopefully, others will chime with more current data.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We have 21" wheels without air suspension. I will say that you do feel the road, you really feel it. My Porsche Macan with 21" wheels, without air suspension and driving in the most aggressive suspension setting Sport Plus is more refined and a bit more forgiving than our XC90 in comfort mode. I will say that you do get used to it, and my wife doesn't notice, so it's all good. But yo will feel the road, and it will jar you when you hit any potholes of consequence. I love the look of the wheels though, so I'd do it again.
Comfort mode does not affect the ride on XC90s without air suspension.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts