SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many R owners here have experienced the front axle spline/hub problem. I'd like to know if this is more prevalent with MT or GT owners. http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=40804

I'd also like to know if power increases (due to modifitcations) has any relation to this problem.

If your only mod is BMC filter please consider you car stock for the purposes of this poll (or any other mod that yields less than 10hp).

My initial thoughts and quick reivew of the various axle spline threads leads me to beleive this is more prevalent in MT R's and doesn't matter if it is stock or heavily mod'ed. Maybe the torque limiting on the GT is saving those owners' axle splines and hubs?

If you have any other significant input regarding your thoughts on this problem as it relates to mods or driving style, etc. please post details.

Thanks,
LTA

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Axle spline/hub problems: GT or MT? Stock or not? (LTA)

I casted my vote, but this poll will not tell you much. You do not have a heterogenous mix here, as most people drive MT, so the fact that you get most of the votes for MT cars doesn't necessarily mean it is more common in MT cars.

Something like this would probably give you a better idea:

MT - axle spline problem
MT - no problem
GT - axle spline problem
GT - no problem

Or the combination of those with the stock/modded variant, but that would be too much.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Axle spline/hub problems: GT or MT? Stock or not? (Razor1973)

Quote, originally posted by Razor1973 »
I casted my vote, but this poll will not tell you much. You do not have a heterogenous mix here, as most people drive MT, so the fact that you get most of the votes for MT cars doesn't necessarily mean it is more common in MT cars.

Something like this would probably give you a better idea:

MT - axle spline problem
MT - no problem
GT - axle spline problem
GT - no problem

Or the combination of those with the stock/modded variant, but that would be too much.

This poll will tell me mainly what I want to know, maybe my initial wording was poor but my main interest is: Does this problem happen more with mod'ed cars or not. But okay, we'll do your poll next since it would do better at getting to the bottom of my other question relating to GT or MT.

ps. You must be some kind of stats major and that's good but isn't "heterogenious mix" an oximoron or a contradiction of terms

LTA

·
Registered
97 Posts

My 04 MT had the problem within 2 months of new - no mods, and gently driven. Dealer was well aware of the problem and performed the locktite fix. The problem has not returned, and I now have had the BSR program installed for about 2 months - no sign of returning axle 'click'. The hubs were not replaced.

However, on our 2000 XC, the problem we had was the front hub-to-suspension mount bolts backing out. It sounded like the brake pad tension springs had broken - or very similar to the axle spline problem. When they backe out far enough, they bound up against the CV joint housing and locked up the front drive. Luckily, the car was going slow at the time or it could have been exciting as it was the left front that locked up.

At the time, I found out that Volvo was already on their 3rd design iteration of these bolts, so it was apparently a common problem.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
ps. You must be some kind of stats major and that's good but isn't "heterogenious mix" an oximoron or a contradiction of terms

It's spelled "heterogeneous" and it is an actual term.

Wikipedia says "A heterogeneous compound, mixture, or other such object is one that consists of many different items".

No, I am no stats major.

I am glad you are getting the information you want. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Axle spline/hub problems: GT or MT? Stock or not? (Razor1973)

Quote, originally posted by Razor1973 »

It's spelled "heterogeneous" and it is an actual term.

Wikipedia says "A heterogeneous compound, mixture, or other such object is one that consists of many different items".

Spelling is not my forte, that's fore shur! But I do like to learn and improve and debate 'the written word'. When I look up english words I rely on one source: The Canadian Oxford Dictionary. With all due respect, should anyone really trust Wikipedia, "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit."??

I think disctionary.com is much more reliable on-line references http://dictionary.reference.com/help/about.html

I have trouble using the words 'heterogeneous' and 'mix' together. No matter how I look at it, it seems either incongruous or redundant. I think it comes from grade 5 science class where we mixed oil and water and watched them separate back to a heterogeneous state where you could see two distinct and unmixed liquids or parts. Unlike salt and water, for example, that when mixed stayed mixed in a homogeneus state.

Back to the point of this thread:
I think you were also suggesting earlier to keep the poll simple and I agree. Go look in the test forums to see what I did as a test:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59030

Thank you for voting,

LTA

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
I think you were also suggesting earlier to keep the poll simple and I agree. Go look in the test forums to see what I did as a test

I'd go for it and pray that Jim or Chris don't remove it for being a duplicate post/poll. I'd vote again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.