SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 S60R 6 speed manual. Does anyone know how to change the axle seals w/o removing the collar sleeve? i have a gear oil leak and i don’t have the resources or time to remove it & have a way to keep it in(converted to fwd until i get the seals for the angle gear and new driveshaft) i use this car for work, and cannot afford to get a bearing puller or go to a mechanic. any suggestions?

·
Registered
960 Posts
2005 S60R 6 speed manual. Does anyone know how to change the axle seals w/o removing the collar sleeve? i have a gear oil leak and i don’t have the resources or time to remove it & have a way to keep it in(converted to fwd until i get the seals for the angle gear and new driveshaft) i use this car for work, and cannot afford to get a bearing puller or go to a mechanic. any suggestions?
Is your concern that the collar sleeve will be seized to output shaft of the transmission? I don't see how you can replace the passenger axle seal without removing the collar sleeve.
My collar sleeve came right off by hand at 120k when I was in there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your concern that the collar sleeve will be seized to output shaft of the transmission? I don't see how you can replace the passenger axle seal without removing the collar sleeve.
My collar sleeve came right off by hand at 120k when I was in there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
that is my concern. everything i’ve seen online says that it will be a bitch and a half to pull out

·
Registered
960 Posts
that is my concern. everything i’ve seen online says that it will be a bitch and a half to pull out
I wouldn't assume that. Nobody posts when it's easy to take off... but if it's hard to take off and people get stuck, they're going to post about it. There's a lot of issues like that where it may seem really common because there's a lot of posts about it but in reality it's far from certain. Like I said, at 120k miles, mine came off by hand. I don't do hard launches ever though, always take off pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where exactly is the leak? Sure it’s the trans not the bevel gear? D side out the outboard axle seal? At the base of the P side axle behind the bevel gear? Or, P side outboard?
If you don’t have adequate time, tools, money, etc, just let it leak and keep topping it off. Admittedly sounds like bad advice, but having had all of this apart, a reseal can quickly go badly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where exactly is the leak? Sure it’s the trans not the bevel gear? D side out the outboard axle seal? At the base of the P side axle behind the bevel gear? Or, P side outboard?
If you don’t have adequate time, tools, money, etc, just let it leak and keep topping it off. Admittedly sounds like bad advice, but having had all of this apart, a reseal can quickly go badly.
the left side is dry. when i fill up the transmission, it takes a little bit but it starts to leak from the weep hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weep hole? Got pic?
The D side is easier to disassemble, plus replacing the CV if you damage it is much cheaper
where the engine mates with the transmission, there’s a “weep hole” at the bottom. the cv axle is fine, i’m just trying to solve this leak. i did find a solution for pulling the collar sleeve, i just haven’t gotten to it been out of town.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts