SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please comment if you have replaced the original axle bolts with the XC90 bolts and how many miles you have driven since changing over. I am curious if the axle ping was eliminated completely, or if it returned after a certain amount of mileage.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
25k miles iwt6h XC90 and iuts gone.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (CBJ)

It is THE method. Most of us have had these for a long time (did mine last year) and have no issues whatsoever. Just do it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (T5 for Life)

Thanks. I only notice the noise coming from the driver side. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

At least 20K and all is well.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

Yeah, it can start, or remain on only one side.

Just get the bolts, takes 5 min to swap out, no jacking required, just pop the centercap off the wheel and BLAMMO..problem solved. Literally.

If not, then pop the engine mount in and may lower tranny mount, if you haven't done it already.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

40K miles on the XC90 bolts, and everything 100% A-OK. Now have 60K miles on car - swapped out at 20K miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (Short Circuit)

Is the axle ping like a clicking noise whenever the wheels move forward or backward? I have this terrible clicking noise now, and my buddy said it sounded like the axles.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I did them two days ago and thought I should wait a day because of the the stuff on them. Thought it was loctite? Anyways it fixed the ping. Takes no time at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (IamFizzle41)

Drive around in first gear in a parking garage giving it gas and then letting off with the windows down. You will know if you have axle ping.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Quote, originally posted by IamFizzle41 »
Is the axle ping like a clicking noise whenever the wheels move forward or backward? I have this terrible clicking noise now, and my buddy said it sounded like the axles.

Yea sounds like axle ping. I've had the XC90 bolts for around 20k miles. The ping is coming back intermittently now, I think I just need to retorque them.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

Fizzle, this is exactly what I had and these bolts cured it. one of the more satisfying fixes actually.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

So i started getting the noise as well and seems like a bunch of threads about the bolts spawned recently. Is it somehow attributed to the warmer weather?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (xman03)

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
Is it somehow attributed to the warmer weather?

Windows are down more of the time

20k with xc90 bolts, have other pings now, but nothing as loud or consistent as axle ping.

Replacing tranny mount, see if that cures it. If that doesn't do it, I'll just live with the fact that the car is not new anymore

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: Axle Ping - XC90 Bolts (xman03)

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
So i started getting the noise as well and seems like a bunch of threads about the bolts spawned recently. Is it somehow attributed to the warmer weather?

The bolts may need to be retorqued from time to time

·
Registered
339 Posts

Are you talking about driving and shifting from drive to reverse or actually pushing the wheels by hand? I have a bad pinging/knocking noise from the front, sounds like both sides, but its only when im going slow that i can hear it, ~15mph and going over bumpy pavement or speed bumps. I never hear the noise when I engage reverse or drive so is that axle ping or not? I can hear this noise when I have the windows down or up.

Long story short, I think I fixed it one time with the xc90 bolts but when I took the car in for a tire rotation the mech did something to the bolts and ever since then ive had the noise. I ordered another pair of bolts but I cant get them in because there appears to already be a spacer in there and I dont know how to remove it so thats why im questioning whether this is axle ping or not.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote, originally posted by T5 for Life »

Fizzle, this is exactly what I had and these bolts cured it. one of the more satisfying fixes actually.

Awesome I can't wait to do this. I can't stand the damn click anymore.

And it from whenever the wheels are moving, going over small bumps, turning the wheel, etc. It really sucks.

Thanks for the info http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.