SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a how-to on this? I checked the 2 stickied threads for maintenance & upgrades @ the top of the page & didn't see anything. I'm noticing a "clunk" at the back of the car when letting off the gas & then accelerating.. thinking this is what you all are talking about. I'll know for sure after I change out my upper engine mount & lower torque mount this weekend. But, I have no idea where these XC90 bolts are supposed to go, how many I need, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
clunk in back is probably from a blown bushing on the rear suspension somewhere...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm... just did a little more research on Axle ping & you're right. Front axles only. I only notice it when driving, not when going from P into D or R. If I'm cruising along & let off the gas, I get a bit of a clunk when I get back on the gas again.. like when I'm slowing down to turn and then accelerate out of the corner. It happens going straight, too.

When I changed out the spark plugs, I noticed the connection between the stabilizer bar & upper mount was super spongey. The rubber isolator is ready to fall out of the mount. So I ordered a new poly mount from IPD & a new torque mount last Saturday. But the clunk does sound like it's coming from the rear at times, too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clunk in back is probably from a blown bushing on the rear suspension somewhere...
I guess I'll have to jack it up & look around. 103,000 miles.. that's probably the culprit. I didn't see any big suspension repairs in the history records I got from the previous owner.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I guess I'll have to jack it up & look around. 103,000 miles.. that's probably the culprit. I didn't see any big suspension repairs in the history records I got from the previous owner.
Could be end links, especially if they are original.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's involved with switching those out?

I know replacing them isn't too difficult... but is a wheel alignment or SUM calibration required after?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. After I replace the mounts, I'll inspect the end links. Looks like IPD will be getting some more of my cash this winter! LOL

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the clunk is not axle ping. its from the dual mass flywheel. i managed to quiet mine down with HD axle bolts, poly mounts, fluid changes, and driving. but you will never get rid of it.
Thanks for playing, but my caR is a GT trans... not a manual :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
I get the exact same cluck you're describing and it is my biggest pet peeve on the car. I've never been able to figure it out either. I just bought the xc90 bolts to see if it is really axle ping but i'm thinking it's something else. New upper engine mount and lower transmission mount didn't fix it either

·
Registered
584 Posts
the clunk is not axle ping. its from the dual mass flywheel. i managed to quiet mine down with HD axle bolts, poly mounts, fluid changes, and driving. but you will never get rid of it.
Hmmm, are you sure? First I ever hear of dual mass flywheels creating clunking noises in the rear...

In our case the clunk turned out to be a lower engine mount, and the clunk noise was more in the center of the car. I have also had the "clunk over speedbumps" issue, which is worse if you accelerate upon leaving the bump. That was mitigated by new rear shocks. Still makes the noise though. Always has, and likely always will. We have the V, so the cargo area amplifies the noise as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've been hitting the search engine hard, and also watched some IPD & FCP Euro videos on Youtube. It would appear that the clunks you guys are describing would most likely be attributed to worn out sway bar end-links (like Prienzo already mentioned in my case). You can get a set of front & rears from IPD for about $85 (stock replacement)... or more for their HD replacements. New sway bars may be a good idea since nothing on those are serviceable (bushings) and the bars themselves could be banging on something.

I drove my caR yesterday & really paid attention to the noises. I have a clunk up front-center (I can feel it in the floor boards) & one in the rear. The mounts I ordered should take care of the one up front. I'm planning on new front & rear sway bars + end-links this spring to hopefully take care of the rest. @ 103,000+ miles on original parts, probably a good idea anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts