SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ping Ping Ping. I hear its called Axle Ping. I hear a Ping every time I stop or turn at slow speeds. Besides the irritation it is causing me, is it hurting my car? I just got her. So my question to you Veteran R owners is: How do I fix this and if I cant do it my self how do I tell my Mechanic to fix it?<p>Thanks,<p>Dan<p>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Before the members throttle you a new one - <br>1) Use the search function<br>2) XC90 Axle bolts. Either buy them yourself and do it or tell the tech if you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Axle Ping! (DFurst09)

As stated by others, go with the XC90 axle bolts. I had my axle ping "fixed" by the dealership a month or so ago, using their chosen repair method (glue). The axle ping was back on the left front the next day--I'm not kidding. They refused to use the XC90 bolts, claiming that the XC90 bolts no longer had the rubber gasket. According to John at BVV, they lied. Next time I will just buy the bolts and fix it myself--not worth taking it back to the dealership, even though it would be "fixed" again under warranty.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: Axle Ping! (DFurst09)

From your description I am not sure this is "axle ping". If you hear a click as you move forward or back, it is axle ping. If this is occuring as you are turning, I would suspect a CV joint. Are the rubber boots on the CV joints still in good shape?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Axle Ping! (rogersampson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rogersampson</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From your description I am not sure this is "axle ping". If you hear a click as you move forward or back, it is axle ping. If this is occuring as you are turning, I would suspect a CV joint. Are the rubber boots on the CV joints still in good shape?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Definitely agree.<p>BTW, here is the axle ping epistle:<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60005" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60005</A>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Axle Ping! (MagoonR)

Cv Joints are still in good shape. Went to Volvo and they said that there are differnt sizes of screw for the xc90. anyone know witch i need to pick up? Ive got an 04

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Axle Ping! (jstro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jstro</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get XC90 axle / hub bolts <B>John at Boston Volvo</B> can ship them you</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Got mine from, John. He knew the exact part I needed. Great guy to work with:<br>[email protected]<p>Haven't installed mine yet, but a question for those that have: I've read several threads on this and there is some debate (unresolved in the threads) about whether its either a bad thing, or not a big deal, to replace the bolts while the tire is on the ground (i.e., the axle is under load). Anyone know if there was ever resolution on this? Given my lack of garage space (read: none), would be ideal if I could just plug them in, but don't want to something stupid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts