SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my spring seats replaced at the dealership and they also suggested packing the axles. I greed to it but I don't really know what purpose it served. Anyone know? I'm a female that is not mechanically inclined and I have all my maintenance and repairs done at a Volvo dealer. It costs me a ton of money but I don't know any Volvo mechanics in the Philadelphia area. So, what does packing the axles do?:confused:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Unless there was a tear in one of the boots, probably unnecessary. Damn stealerships. How many miles?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless there was a tear in one of the boots, probably unnecessary. Damn stealerships. How many miles?
only 56k. Really? Shet.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, unless a boot is split and/or leaking, do not mess with them. If one is split, you best hope to catch it quick before grit gets in it and chews up the bearings.

They are not really a routine maintenance item.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I had my front passenger side repacked and booted because my boots came off my axle [how? i don't know...]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I had my front passenger side repacked and booted because my boots came off my axle [how? i don't know...]
A stick. A wire. Any piece of road debris can get up in there and cut a boot. once it's cut, the spewing of the grease and the contamination begins. If that happened, then it's a legit fix. Especially if they caught it quickly and it didn't get a bunch of sand/gravel/water up into it to shred the bearings. Out here in Kansas, there are so many dirt roads and so much dirt in the air (and on the paved roads from people driving on the aforementioned dirt ones) that if the boots are split for more than a very short time, might as well plan on replacing the joint or the half shaft... (joint costs less for part, more labor cost, half shaft costs more, much easier to install... price both ways to figure out best deal)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A stick. A wire. Any piece of road debris can get up in there and cut a boot. once it's cut, the spewing of the grease and the contamination begins. If that happened, then it's a legit fix. Especially if they caught it quickly and it didn't get a bunch of sand/gravel/water up into it to shred the bearings. Out here in Kansas, there are so many dirt roads and so much dirt in the air (and on the paved roads from people driving on the aforementioned dirt ones) that if the boots are split for more than a very short time, might as well plan on replacing the joint or the half shaft... (joint costs less for part, more labor cost, half shaft costs more, much easier to install... price both ways to figure out best deal)
Yeah, I was just wondering how/when it happened. Cause I definitely didn't realize it until I saw all the grease in there. Even then I didn't realize that the whole end of one boot had slid off! My indy got me repacked and fixed up in no time! :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jamie, where around Philly are you? We could try and find you a good Indy mechanic so you could avoid the stealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts