SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started a few weeks ago. I got a new set of control arms and started what should have been an easy install (I've worked on the suspension before without problems). I got everything back together and as I was backing out of my driveway I heard a bang and lost drive. :facepalm:

I pushed it back up the driveway and found the drive side axle broken. Trying to get it out was impossible without air tools. There was some kind of epoxy or dried grease lining the outer hub. I gave up and had it towed to the mechanic where they replaced the axle, checked everything was tight, and did an alignment. The car ran great that afternoon and this morning.

So I pulled into my parking lot at work this morning, turned a corner, and BANG! :confused: :confused:
I was so happy to have my car back and now this. I figure I'll take it back to the mechanic and have him fix it but something else has to be causing this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure yet, I wiggled the axle and it seems intact. My fear is somethings wrong with the angle gear. I'm having it towed now.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Not sure yet, I wiggled the axle and it seems intact. My fear is somethings wrong with the angle gear. I'm having it towed now.
The angle gear itself has nothing to do with the front axels. Only connection is the transmission itself. You should be more worried that your transmission is on the fritz as that's what I would peg the problem as.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had the same sort of thing, I had replaced LCA and didn't get the axle splines all the way into the hub.
When I went to back up, axle jumped out of splines and I could not move the car.

Where was your axle broken? They are pretty sturdy...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The angle gear itself has nothing to do with the front axels. Only connection is the transmission itself. You should be more worried that your transmission is on the fritz as that's what I would peg the problem as.
You sure? I was looking at the axle and it looks like both front axles go into the angle gear.

The first time it was a broken axle. I had such a hard time wiggling the assembly around to get the ball joint in I must have disjointed it. This time may be the splines, I was at full lock when it popped out.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The first time it was a broken axle. I had such a hard time wiggling the assembly around to get the ball joint in I must have disjointed it. This time may be the splines, I was at full lock when it popped out.
There is no reason for the splines to strip out unless your mech installed them incorrectly. The next time you do LCA's unscrew the axel bolt a little bit but enough so theres still adequate thread to catch on and beat it with a mallet and it should pop right out...If you can't get the bolt out then PB it. I'm lucky to have a set of air tools to help in my favor.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hopefully you (or they) used OEM or something equivalent as I purchased one for my front right at a local parts store and even though they stated that it was the right one it was too short and popped out while driving home.

You can tell if you have the right one by how much you paid for it. :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
The angle gear is attached directly to the transmission via the spline coupler. The passenger side axle passes through the angle gear with no meachanical connection into the transmission. Some volvo mechanics use red locktite on the axle splines in the hubs which require heat to remove. PITA.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
You sure? I was looking at the axle and it looks like both front axles go into the angle gear.

The angle gear is attached directly to the transmission via the spline coupler. The passenger side axle passes through the angle gear with no meachanical connection into the transmission. Some volvo mechanics use red locktite on the axle splines in the hubs which require heat to remove. PITA.
I stand corrected :p thank you enlightening me

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully you (or they) used OEM or something equivalent as I purchased one for my front right at a local parts store and even though they stated that it was the right one it was too short and popped out while driving home.

You can tell if you have the right one by how much you paid for it. :D
Yup, lesson learned. I ordered the correct part from Tasca and should be back on the road soon. Apparently there's no such thing as a passenger side aftermarket axle for the R?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ordered the same one as you. Installing Friday.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It is worth the $65 to have it done for you. You have to unbolt the right lower engine mount to swing it out of the way, just to access the LCA bolts in order to remove that. For me it wasn't so bad, because I was also replacing other suspension parts, inspecting and cleaning everything. This wouldn't have been done for the $65 axle replacement service fee.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ordered the same one as you. Installing Friday.
From what I can see, this axle is for s60r with GT and will not fit MT R. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
And the plot thickens! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well F*CK.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts