SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After having the FL wheel bearing and outer CV joint replaced a couple of months ago,
the mechanic who performed the work told me to keep an eye on the tightness of that axle bolt.

Well, I've checked all four axle bolts monthly, and FL is good and tight.
Same goes with every other axle bolt, except for the FR one.
It's been a bit loose the last two times I checked the bolts; about a 1/6 turn and it's tight again.

It seems I'll be getting a new set of axle bolts, so I'd just like to ask if that would be all I need?
Any other things I should look for in the corner with the loose bolt?
Wasn't there a mention about torquing the axle bolts to 50 Nm or something?

Cheers,
DeadHead

·
Registered
719 Posts
XC90 bolts have a rubber grommet that will keep them from slipping back off. They are also ~$30 a piece. You could always try some loctite, the blue kind.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Hi all,

After having the FL wheel bearing and outer CV joint replaced a couple of months ago,
the mechanic who performed the work told me to keep an eye on the tightness of that axle bolt.

Well, I've checked all four axle bolts monthly, and FL is good and tight.
Same goes with every other axle bolt, except for the FR one.
It's been a bit loose the last two times I checked the bolts; about a 1/6 turn and it's tight again.

It seems I'll be getting a new set of axle bolts, so I'd just like to ask if that would be all I need?
Any other things I should look for in the corner with the loose bolt?
Wasn't there a mention about torquing the axle bolts to 50 Nm or something?

Cheers,
DeadHead
My left front always comes loose for some reason even after I have tighened hard than recommended.

My fix was a Volvo master Tech buddy of mine swiped a new regualr axle bolt with factory Locktite on it....So far its holding like its supposed to be....

Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
XC90 bolts have a rubber grommet that will keep them from slipping back off. They are also ~$30 a piece. You could always try some loctite, the blue kind.
Check out Tasca for the XC90 bolts, they are cheaper. Use the part # off of the iPd website. Some semi-permanent locktite will help also, as vplay mentioned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the answers and suggestions!
As crazyace1104 posted that one of his axle bolts came loose repeatedly as well, I think I'll be fine with just swapping the axle bolts.
Inspected the "problem corner" the other day when changing to summer tires, and nothing seems to be off other than the axle bolt not holding tight.

I guess I'll just buy the new bolts from a local dealer, as I live in Finland (I apologize for the inconvenience caused by my location not showing in my posts..)
and it would be quite awkward to just order the bolts and pay for shipping. I've got some plans for future upgrades, just waiting 'til I get the extra cash to get them done at once.
Mainly thinking to upgrade to Snabb intake pipe, silicone vacuum hoses etc. and get the angle gear collar sleeve changed (AWD is working fine, but the sleeve has seen over 168'000 km of road).
When the sleeve gets swapped, I'll have a look at the exhaust manifold + seal and downpipe too. The engine is "flapping" when cold, so would be good to get that over with simultaneously.

Oh well, got carried away again...

Thank you for the input again!

Cheers,
DeadHead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts