SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I've recently picked up a front driver side axle from a 2005 XC90 2.5T that has a small tear on the outer boot. It's a GKN axle part number p30651435. Volvo has two part numbers for this boot and the dealership says they require VIN to order and I'm unable to produce one. I'm quite sure the boot I'm looking for is Volvo 30759413, but can anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Is there a part number molded into the old boot?

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
I suspect the alt part number is for t6 axle?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got talking to another person at the dealership and of the two part numbers they state that one part number is for a factory-installed axle that's never been replaced and the other part number is for an axle that's been replaced. Other than that there is no VIN number or identification on the axle whether has been replaced or not. being about the axle that I have currently only has a GKN number on it and no Volvo number and also that it looks like it's in great shape and rust free I would assume that what I have here is a replacement axle. I'm going to order a kit and see if it matches.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to confirm 3078808265 is the correct number for the axle that I have which is a replacement axle. The part number on the boot supplied with this kit matches with the one installed on my axle.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I believe the kit you might want to look for is 31437050 for inner and 31437049 for outer. VIN is being asked as there is a chassis break (last 6 of VIN) but since you're an '05 , it's easy enough to assume that you're in the 130000-160000 range. The PNs above are noted as applicable for chassis 41941 to 197065, 5 and 6 cylinder only.

For some latter models and chassis numbers, only the outer boot can be replaced.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where you able to get the outer cv joint separated? I tried before ordering a boot kit and couldn't get it to to move at all. I've done many other volvo boots but this one has me stumped.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Set the shaft in a vise, let the joint hang down, and hammered the inner race. Went back together surprisingly easy. the kit came with a locking ring which I also replaced.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes. Set the shaft in a vise, let the joint hang down, and hammered the inner race. Went back together surprisingly easy. the kit came with a locking ring which I also replaced.
Got it. Had to ditch the brass drift and hammer straight on the inner race. Still took a lot of hammering!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts