SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says I heard a god awful noise this morning. So background, I have an 04 s60r 6 speed. On way to work this morning I started out on side road and turned onto road that speed limit was 35, went to 45, then to 55 mph. I stayed at 55 for about 12 miles with two stop signs in between. When I first left it was not raining but as I got further away from my house it began to pour. Cruising along I hear only the radio, time is about 7:10am..I get near work and hear this holy **** noise and think for a second it is the radio and an emergency broadcast before I realize it isn't. Turned off radio but sound kept going. Sounded like it was coming from the vent or radio area, came to 2 stop lights and the noise stopped. Started up about when I hit 3rd gear and continued to 4th as I was going about 45 in town. Lately I have changed all my fluids. (AoC, Haldex, Angle, and rear diff as well as installed Rkelly intake but nothing that can lead me to what could cause this noise. On way home after work at about 6:10pm I hear nothing of the noise. Trying to think back I think all of the times it has rained I have been at work except for a slight drizzle so not any times I can really remember driving in downpour. Have had the car about 6 months.

Here is a video so brace your ears. Hopefully it will help. The noise drove me nuts for about 5 minutes, being it was pouring and I was on way to work I could not stop and check it out at the time.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Rain squeal! Welcome to the club! Happens when the exhaust pipe curves (and hits the driveshaft) because of a huge delta-t from the rain cooling the bottom of the pipe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rain squeal! Welcome to the club! Happens when the exhaust pipe curves (and hits the driveshaft) because of a huge delta-t from the rain cooling the bottom of the pipe.
I never heard this in my GT during rain, only slight grinding when going through some thick snow. Great to know it was not something horribly wrong though. If exhaust hitting driveshaft as you say then will the IPD Catback fix that problem? I have it on order now. :D :D

Also thank you for the quick replies with good info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
IPD catback will fix it. I had rain squeal, so first jrl modded it then bit the bullet and bought the exhaust. Annnnd another plus is that it sounds fantastic :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah takes me back to 07 first week I owned my new (used) SR, driving in rain storm on hwy 280 - loud azz siren f'n noise. Good times man.

Dude it takes exactly .0000004 seconds to google search and find what that problem is. "volvo high pitch noise" etc = rain squeal. Sure shopping for whatever @ 800-1000 USD vs delete the resonator @ 40 bucks at muffler shop that will weld new pipe to replace. makes sense

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had catback in order already before rain Squeal. Yup my bad on not googling and instead relying on other people with more experience to answer question without proper searching. With that said, I'll search more before asking annnnd done here.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
You're going to enjoy that IPD catback! :thumbup:

Start PB Blasting your bolts now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Had catback in order already before rain Squeal. Yup my bad on not googling and instead relying on other people with more experience to answer question without proper searching. With that said, I'll search more before asking annnnd done here.
Aww crap I mighta sounded a bit douchey there. My bad... and have to admit I've been resisting the temptation to buy that ipd exhaust. Almost purchased another volvo -an 06 VR MT - earlier this year and it had the ipd exhaust. I noticed within about 15 minutes it instantly attracts the ricey audi bmw'r wanna-race crowd (theyre everywhere here) ...LOLVO FTW!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How can any S60R still have rain squeal? Used car dealers reinstalling stock parts?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
How can any S60R still have rain squeal? Used car dealers reinstalling stock parts?
Mine has it on occasion. No one ever installed the updated bracket/ JRL modded the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts