SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the V8 get AWD and the I6 does not? I think the I6 would be a better choice economically/performance wise because it has less weight and it's only missing a few horses and a little torque. <p>And what happened to the turbos???

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: AWD (SABAM25177)

The V8 NEEDS the AWD.<br>The I6 doesn't.<p>Volvo is working on a single turbo version of the SI6. Which car it will go into is still up in the air.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: AWD (VolvoMax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoMax</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The V8 NEEDS the AWD.<br>The I6 doesn't.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>Both needs AWD. <p>And (at least in Europe) the Si6 will be available with awd.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: AWD (T5_awd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>T5_awd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p><br>Both needs AWD. <p>And (at least in Europe) the Si6 will be available with awd. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>I totally agree. BAD MOVE on Volvo's part to not offer AWD with the 3.2, at least right away.<p><br>Yannis

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: AWD (GrecianVolvo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>GrecianVolvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I totally agree. BAD MOVE on Volvo's part to not offer AWD with the 3.2, at least right away.<p><br>Yannis</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Probably did it this way cuz they can't GIVE AWAY the current AWD S80's.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoMax</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably did it this way cuz they can't GIVE AWAY the current AWD S80's.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Maybe not in Arizona, but up in snowy MN the AWD models sell like hotcakes. XC70s in particular are everywhere. Probably 20 times more of them than 2WD V70s.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoMax</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Probably did it this way cuz they can't GIVE AWAY the current AWD S80's.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>AS the "Crooked Cow", above, pointed out most S80s sold up here are AWD.<p>But that this the old car. The new one is supposed to be a fresh start. Every car, in the S80 3.2's competitive segment, will be offered with AWD at least as an option. I think it is a TOTALLY BAD move, on Volvo's part, to not offer AWD with the 3.2 model. And if they decide to do it for MY08, it will be too late. The initial aura of the new car will be gone and it will be too late.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>GrecianVolvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every car, in the S80 3.2's competitive segment, will be offered with AWD at least as an option. I think it is a TOTALLY BAD move, on Volvo's part, to not offer AWD with the 3.2 model. And if they decide to do it for MY08, it will be too late.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>But they will offer the 3.2 with awd. I've heard that it will show up late 2006. The engine that really needs awd is D5, 185hp and 400Nm on the front wheel isn't fun! D5 will also be available with awd, but I think it was in May 07.<p>

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: AWD (Warpedcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Warpedcow</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Maybe not in Arizona, but up in snowy MN the AWD models sell like hotcakes. XC70s in particular are everywhere. Probably 20 times more of them than 2WD V70s.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>XC70 is alot different from the S80.<br>I don't think Colorado sells that many AWD sedans.<p>Contrary to popular belief, lots of AWD vehicles are sold in AZ. We are one of the biggest XC90 dealers in the country and 2/3 of our sales are 2.5T AWD's and V8's.<br>We sell more S40 T5 AWD's than S80 AWD's, not to mention the R.<br>Can't throw a rock here in Scottsdale without hitting a Cayenne or Hummer H2 or other 4wd or AWD SUV.<br>Ton's of WRX's and Evo's. 911 Turbo's etc.<br>

·
Registered
807 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>GrecianVolvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AS the "Crooked Cow", above, pointed out most S80s sold up here are AWD.<p>But that this the old car. The new one is supposed to be a fresh start. Every car, in the S80 3.2's competitive segment, will be offered with AWD at least as an option. I think it is a TOTALLY BAD move, on Volvo's part, to not offer AWD with the 3.2 model. And if they decide to do it for MY08, it will be too late. The initial aura of the new car will be gone and it will be too late.<p>Yannis</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You have two market segments for the S80:<p>"Thrifty Luxury": Cares about comfort, price, and gas milage. The front wheel drive S80 is the best choice for these people, as it gets better gas milage.<p>"Big Luxury": Cares about power and comfort. The AWD V8 is the best choice for these people.<p>I don't think that AWD makes a very good 3.2 "option", because you cannot fit it onto an existing model without a lot of re-work.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: AWD (T5_awd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>T5_awd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>But they will offer the 3.2 with awd. I've heard that it will show up late 2006. The engine that really needs awd is D5, 185hp and 400Nm on the front wheel isn't fun! D5 will also be available with awd, but I think it was in May 07.<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yeah, I heard that but that is a bit late. I would think that Vovo would want to slam dunk the S80 launch by maximizing sales of its most popular S80 which will be the 3.2. I can GUARANTEE you that they will lose LOTS of sales in the initial phase, just because the car will not be offered with AWD.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
400 Posts

Is AWD really that important? I'm not a snow driver so it might be, but I've never had a problem even with my Explorer in the rain. And it's a torquey V-6 rear drive with a light-weight rear end. If I can drive that, then a FWD car with lots of weight over the tires would be a breeze. *shrug* The S80 does just fine in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: AWD (Majisto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Majisto</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is AWD really that important? I'm not a snow driver so it might be, but I've never had a problem even with my Explorer in the rain. And it's a torquey V-6 rear drive with a light-weight rear end. If I can drive that, then a FWD car with lots of weight over the tires would be a breeze. *shrug* The S80 does just fine in the rain.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>For many people it is not. But for a lot of people in the North East and upper Midwest it is...esepcially since the competition (all models) offer AWD as an option.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

I dunno Yannis, I just don't see an AWD 3.2 as critical to launch success.<br>The early adopters of the car will mostly take the V8 version as it will be priced well below the competition.<br>The thrifty Volvo buyers will trade in their S80 FWDs and S60 FWDs for the 3.2<p>Maybe later, you can have a 3.2 AWD, but I can't see that very many will be sold, even in the NE.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: AWD (SABAM25177)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>SABAM25177</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does the V8 get AWD and the I6 does not? I think the I6 would be a better choice economically/performance wise because it has less weight and it's only missing a few horses and a little torque. <p>And what happened to the turbos???</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Could be a complexity and cost issue. Because the 3.2 is a new setup, they may not be ready to spend the $$$ to develop an awd system for it. Then again I don't work for Volvo so I don't know.<p>I can understand somewhat the reasoning to offer awd in the V8 to help address power transfer. The V8 generates quite a bit more torque than the 6 and may induce wheel spin and torque steer. But I could be wrong there too. Somebody here will correct me I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
3.2 AWD? Don't forget the XC90 gets it this fall. Figure S80 will get it soon enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts