SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my awd stopped working the shaft spins all fuses are good just no power to rear wheels and when its on stands i can free spin the rear wheels what would cause that??

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
If the car is in park or first gear with the engine off, the center driveshaft should NOT spin. If it does you have a stripped AG collar.
*with the wheels on the ground... With a wheel off the ground it should spin.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yes, and a bad AG collar will also spin so it rules out nothing. Best way to know for sure is to lock the front diff, by either putting the car in park or first gear off, and seeing if it spins. If it does, then you definantly have a bad AG collar. Most people need to jack up their cars to do this, so it doesn't help by promoting a method that can give you a false positive when people don't fully understand how diffs work when you are trying to spin the diff pumpkin via the AG.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Yes, and a bad AG collar will also spin so it rules out nothing. Best way to know for sure is to lock the front diff, by either putting the car in park or first gear off, and seeing if it spins. If it does, then you definantly have a bad AG collar. Most people need to jack up their cars to do this, so it doesn't help by promoting a method that can give you a false positive when people don't fully understand how diffs work when you are trying to spin the diff pumpkin via the AG.
I was just clarifying that this is with the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I will define the possibilities for you:

Mechanical: If the Angle gear collar sleeve test fails you have a stripped sleeve.

Electronical: If the angle gear is good it can be among these things: AWD AOC Pump, AWD Pressure solenoid, AWD DEM module, AWD Fuse and if your battery is very low on charge the car will turn off awd temporarily ( you will get anti-skid temporarily disabled ).

Is it throwing any codes ?
Scanning the car with vida/dice would be a good start, paired with the collar sleeve test.

Goodluck !

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Codes must be read by VIDA, it will be a stored code and will not show on the dash or on a standard scanner

·
Registered
445 Posts
Codes must be read by VIDA, it will be a stored code and will not show on the dash or on a standard scanner
Mine threw dash '' Anti-skid service required '' when my DEM was shot, it threw that dash code as well when my pressure solenoid went out.

But you're right most of the time it will be a stored code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts