SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit an animal in the road the other day, knew nothing of the bracket of death. going down the road the next day i heard metal on metal action underneath my car (just bought it used 1 month ago) got to work and looked under the car to see the bracket bent like something had wedged itself in there but whatever it was, was no longer there. had already set up an appt at my local volvo dealership for a tune up and sunroof module install the next day. got to the dealership told them what had happened and what i had noticed, so they got to work on the tune up and the module install 3 hours later i got back to the dealership he didnt call me or anything to tell me what was wrong with the bracket or if it had been fixed he simply told me to follow him. got to my car and it was already back down on the ground, bracket was off. he told me he was going to find a tech to put the car back up in the air so i could see what was wrong with it. after about 10 min of looking for someone he figured out everyone had went home. he then stated that quote "COLLISION IMPACT WITH SOLID OBJECT, CAUSING DMG TO
EXHAUST SHIELD WHICH WAS PUSHED UPWARD INTO EXHAUST SYSTEM WHICH WAS
PUSHING UPWARD ON THE DRIVE SHAFT. DUE TO THE CHANGED ANGLE OF THE
DRIVE SHAFT, DMG TO REAR BEARINGS & GEARS INSIDE TRANSFER CASE." he then quoted me 4000 dollars to fix LMAO anyone want to help me out with a do it yourself fix or any info on refilling the transfer case with fluid as it has leaked out and how much play the driveshaft should have. or any noises it would make the car drove fine it only made a little noise when you turned and drove after he removed the braket i have pictures too if that would help. i would appreciate any additional feedback....ps sorry this is such a long post http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...id=51#

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: AWD Transfer case/exhaust bracket of death (R RAT3D)

Sounds like you're out of warranty, therefore, I would search for a reputable independent Volvo mechanic. Get a quote from them and start from there. You could remove the drive shaft to the rear and use it in FWD until you get it sorted out - you want to get this done right.

Hopefully, one of the techs will offer some more in depth info.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

It's unbelievable that an 04 is on the road with one of those still attached.
Volvo could have made owners aware of the hazard. Should have.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
FV-QR

Sorry to welcome you to Swedespeed on a note like this man.

Do like ZenZone said. Remove the drive shave and enjoy a FWD R until you can find a good indie mechanic to fix her up for you.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

No offense to the dealer/tech in question whomever he/they are....but I think you're getting hosed! If the car drove "fine" with no vibrations and only a slight sound I'm curious as to how they managed to definitively conclude that you wrecked the transfer case and said gears so quickly:screwy: I would guess that you may have damaged the driveshaft beyond reproach. However, I would find an indie shop to look at it and remove the bracket + let you see the driveshaft in the air with the car running and in drive. THEN if they can prove to you/show you how it is totally F'ed you could proceed from there.
As for the exhaust, if that's bent or the center resonator is compromised(or not) it would be a good time to have an exhaust shop do the JRL mod(use the google search for that). Should be cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

Also....did you see the leaking/loss of fluid yourself? DO NOTHING til you can see this with your OWN EYES. Again, I'm sorry if I'm unfairly trampling on a good tech, but this sounds like someone hunting for hours on their time card.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bracket of death

G'day,
Commiserations to R RAT3D.
So what's the Volco/VADIS name of the bracket of death - I take it that this is related to the exhaust system.
VolvoGeoff

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Re: bracket of death (volvogeoff)

IDK volvogeoff, but, It's a silver "band"like structure about 2.5" wide and 1/8th" thick held on by 4 12mm bolts(also silver). It's located just fore of the lip on the center resonator and has a curved/U shape that bumps around the exhaust from one side to the other. After typing this I realize why I should have a friggin photobucket account.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mad matt)

You guys are a tad reactionary there. The bracket is fine unless it gets hit. Mine was way bent and I had no problems, had it removed at a routine service. NOW I'm having problems.

To the OP: tell your dealership to put the modified bracket volvo designed to fix the original one's vulnerability on the car and you should be good forever as far as driveshaft rub and exhaust movement.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: FV-QR (silverbullitt850)

OP, that sucks http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Quote, originally posted by silverbullitt850 »
You guys are a tad reactionary there. The bracket is fine unless it gets hit. Mine was way bent and I had no problems, had it removed at a routine service. NOW I'm having problems.

To the OP: tell your dealership to put the modified bracket volvo designed to fix the original one's vulnerability on the car and you should be good forever as far as driveshaft rub and exhaust movement.

problems with it removed?

modified bracket may or may not work, there are instances where the new bracket didn't help.

it's all been debated to death already, search and make your own call.

iirc, the latest tnn, says to remove it. there is a kit that is basically a block of plate by the bolts for where bracket resided so bolts don't get driven up too far. i'm far too lazy to search today.

imho, it serves no purpose except to cause damage should it snag something. yeah it's fine unless it catches on something, but the minute it snags something,,, well op can tell you.... why risk it?

Modified by atacamaR at 10:56 AM 3-27-2010

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

While I've seen plenty that have obv been hit and bent with no consequence (yet) the re-designed bracket is still a joke, and an expensive one at that! It does work to hold the exhaust down preventing the rain squeal issue, but could still sabotage the driveshaft in the right circumstance. IMHO, the OP would be better off doing the JRL mod for approx. $75 and get a better exhaust tone, rather than spend the roughly $140 for the new bracket without labor

But, yes, like all forums and interwebs, people doooo get a tad bent on here(pardon pun)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: FV-QR (volvodrummer)

here here

+1 for louder exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

thank you for all the info so far. i like the idea of a louder exhaust as well. is there any way to seal the transfer case and the back axle area as well if i remove the driveshaft. also is there anyway to refill the transfer case with fluid or do i absolutley need a new one?

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Re: FV-QR (R RAT3D)

Quote, originally posted by R RAT3D »
thank you for all the info so far. i like the idea of a louder exhaust as well. is there any way to seal the transfer case and the back axle area as well if i remove the driveshaft. also is there anyway to refill the transfer case with fluid or do i absolutley need a new one?

There is a fill plug on the transfer case so you have refill it. I think you could reseal it also, but I am not sure how you would go about it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Re: FV-QR (R RAT3D)

So if I understand you correctly, when you say transfer case you're meaning the rear differential/AOC unit located at the rear of the car? If so, I would re-seal and fill with fluid regardless of whether You put back the driveshaft or not.
However- If you're meaning to say the Angle Gear/Transfer case at the front of the car(bolted to the tranny) then yes, it can be and should be re-sealed and the spline collar replaced while it's off. I'm beginning to suspect that the dealer saw a weeping angle gear and came up with your quote. A "wet" looking Angle gear doesn't neccesarily mean it's junk. Let me know.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Quote, originally posted by silverbullitt850 »

Wait a minute here. The exhaust bracket of death (EBD for short) and the "modified rain squeal bracket, are two different things. The EBD is totally 100% useless and service absolutely no purpose what so ever. Removing it will not harm your car in any way shape or form. However leaving it on can cause problems if you run over something like the OP did.

The rain squeal bracket attaches to the exhaust and sorta prevents it from moving but its not a 100% fix because people who have had it put on still have problems with rain squeal. But please don't confused with the EBD and the rain squeal bracket because they are not the same nor do the same function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: FV-QR (volvodrummer)

yes i am refering to the angle gear i can post pictures but it i never noticed any oil spots where i park my car.... the only oil i saw was on the angle gear/transfer case

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: FV-QR (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »

Wait a minute here. The exhaust bracket of death (EBD for short) and the "modified rain squeal bracket, are two different things. The EBD is totally 100% useless and service absolutely no purpose what so ever. Removing it will not harm your car in any way shape or form. However leaving it on can cause problems if you run over something like the OP did.

The rain squeal bracket attaches to the exhaust and sorta prevents it from moving but its not a 100% fix because people who have had it put on still have problems with rain squeal. But please don't confused with the EBD and the rain squeal bracket because they are not the same nor do the same function.

The ORIGINAL "rain squeal bracket" was an EBD with two mounting ears welded on, and a clamp with two ears around the exhaust. Those were connected by ordinary rubber exhaust hangers.

The new "rain squeal bracket" is much different, and sits up and out of the way.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.