SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 s40 t5 awd 6 speed and I noticed a wheel bearing noise. So I had put it on the lift and drove it while in the air, and then noticed that the rear wheels do not turn when engaged. I've had awd cars before and never seen this. I have not had the car scanned yet but there is no error messages. Any thoughts? I heard there was a recall on the rear diff sensor any body run into this before? Besides Volvo any good place to find this sensor or module? Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
its not always AWD. only will engage when front wheel slips. I assume it senses difference in two front wheel speeds. idk for sure though. heres a youtube vid of volvo demonstrating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idR66_TXopk

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Let us know what you find! The S60(P2) crowd has done some extensive research on what engages and disengages their rear wheels. For instance, one click of the handbrake, and the rear wheels supposedly disengage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks that's an interesting video I think I will have to check this in the snow to know for sure!
just go on the edge of the street, place your rear wheels on gravel or grass while your fronts are on street and drop the clutch with some gas you should see the rears spin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup found out my rear wheel drive is inop due to a faulty differential electronic module (DEM)... Any ideas where I can get one of these? I know there real expensive ...if I were to get one from a junkyard with same year/model will I have to have it recoded?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yup found out my rear wheel drive is inop due to a faulty differential electronic module (DEM)... Any ideas where I can get one of these? I know there real expensive ...if I were to get one from a junkyard with same year/model will I have to have it recoded?
wow really? is there a CEL for that or stored coed you found? basically how did you realize it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No cel visible, I haven't scanned it for faults but I found that module is missing half of the cover(circuit board exposed) and looks all burnt :( I called the dealer and they said that is def a problem and need to fix that first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts