SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems as though the suspension in my AWD is quite stiff and provides a rough ride most of the time. I've heard that the AWD has stiffer springs than the FWD version. Has anyone else noticed this and wish that it rode a bit smoother?<P>

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your stiffness might be inherent to the suspension that comes on your AWD, but your comment begs the question "What are your tire pressures?" That <I>could</I> make a noticable difference if they're waaaay off. (Mine were!) <P>I can't recommend pressures to you, though, because I have different wheels and tires than you. Perhaps somebody here who has an AWD can offer you up some pressures that they find to be adequate, comfortable, etc. Enjoy your S60! <P>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shanbrom:<BR><B>The air pressure is ok. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Do you have 17" rims or 16"? 17" wheels will definitely stiffen the ride, much more than in a V70 since the S60 has a shorter wheel base and its suspension, overall, is tuned a little tighter than a V70's.<P>Yannis<P>

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 2002 S60 AWD with the 17" Thor wheels and I actually find that I would prefer a stiffer suspension. I feel the bumps a little more than in my 95 Accord but its a more damped bump.<P>I personally wished they had a sport suspension that would lower the AWD to what the T5 is.<P>Patrick<P>

·
Registered
111 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B>I have a 2002 S60 AWD with the 17" Thor wheels and I actually find that I would prefer a stiffer suspension. I feel the bumps a little more than in my 95 Accord but its a more damped bump.<P>I personally wished they had a sport suspension that would lower the AWD to what the T5 is.<P>Patrick<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here here!<P>Let me know if you find anything because I want the same thing! I want to turn my little AWD into a WRX fighter...<P>Right now I am saving up for the MS Design Kit. Realistically, the lip spoiler will happen soon, the rest will have to wait, though I am fiending for the IPD dual exhaust. *drool*<P>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually have "16 wheels. The car works great when you are really moving on a bumpy road, but around town it's just too harsh.

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shanbrom:<BR><B>I actually have "16 wheels. The car works great when you are really moving on a bumpy road, but around town it's just too harsh.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's interesting because I found the demo I drove with 16" was much more forgiving and somewhat soft compared to my vehicle with 17" wheels.<P>I'll be following up with my dealer to see if I can get anything done for the suspension.<P>Pat<P>

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shanbrom:<BR><B>The air pressure is ok. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How much with which tire brand and size?<BR>I would advise to set the pressure a little lower.<BR>I guess they are set to medium/heavy load while the car is nly moving a few people at the most?<BR>I used 18" Dunlop tires with pressure advice at 2.8 Bar, they drove like stones.<BR>Lowered pressure to 2.5 and the car behaved much better!<BR>It just takes off the rough bumps.<P>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think ride comfort is a fairly personal thing and one person's too stiff is someone else's floaty and not stiff enough.<P>I would also say lower the tire pressure a bit but don't go below the minimum recommended pressure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the AWD w/17" Thors and keep the air pressure at 38lbs. It make the ride just a bit stiffer but no by much. <P>After having the problem with the P6s' bubble and replacing one tire, I was advised to keep the pressure a little higher to give the sidewall a little more stiffness. The tires had 32lbs when I picked it up from the dealer and shortly thereafter, bubbleitis.<P>After keeping the higher pressure, haven't had another problem.<P>You get used to the ride, I think. It's still comfortable enough for me. It's pretty much personal preference.<P>...dl...<P>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moocat:<BR><B>I have the AWD w/17" Thors and keep the air pressure at 38lbs. It make the ride just a bit stiffer but no by much. <BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Moocat, is that measured when the tires are hot?<P><P>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Measured when the tires are cold.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B> Moocat, is that measured when the tires are hot?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moocat:<BR><B>Measured when the tires are cold.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Holy smokes that's pretty high. I thought my 34psi when cold was high. So that means its upwards of 42psi when hot. Most roll incredibly well. Notice any sacrifice in ride or handling? And, are you still using P6's?<P><P>

·
Registered
53 Posts
The ride isn't that bad at all. The handling suffers a little, but I'm sure I don't drive my car the way you guys do. I drive pretty mild.<P>I am still using the P6's. So many people seem to be having the bubble problem with these tires. I really don't feel like shelling out the money for new tires now. But if I continue to have any more problems with the P6s', they'll be gone and I'll probably go with the Toyo or the Yokohama tires. I read a lot of good reviews on those two brands.<P>...dl...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B> Holy smokes that's pretty high. I thought my 34psi when cold was high. So that means its upwards of 42psi when hot. Most roll incredibly well. Notice any sacrifice in ride or handling? And, are you still using P6's?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iceman:<BR><B> Holy smokes that's pretty high. I thought my 34psi when cold was high. So that means its upwards of 42psi when hot. Most roll incredibly well. Notice any sacrifice in ride or handling? And, are you still using P6's?<P><BR>That IS pretty high. I keep mine (although mine is a V70 but with the same tires) at 34 to 35psi. Never had a bubble problem, I am extremely careful when I know the road may be bad, twice I have gone over a pothole and a rasied edge, I thought for sure the tires bought the farm but I was lucky. I think maintaining the proper inflation was part of it.<P><BR>Yannis<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts