SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i realize there are a million threads on this topic. the latest info i received from Bilstein is:
Bilstein has never heard back from people that used the BE5-B382 on AWD because they are only an inch longer collapsed length so they never actually bottomed them out. It's not uncommon for a Bilstein to actually be engineered an inch longer than stock.

That being said.....is anyone out there with AWD using the koni's or bilstein shock/struts in the rear?
if yes, did you have to manipulate or modify the setup in any way?

for the FWD guys - yes i know you are using them and the ride is awesome. i know, i know. :(

I had tried the KYB's (basically oem) a couple years ago and there was no way they would fit. even with the bump stops chopped off i wouldve been riding bottomed out.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks TG...you're input on that thread is fantastic. i started this one because the guys at bilstein seem to think that the length will not be an issue for AWD apllication. i am skeptical and was wondering if anyone out there had tried it. Hopefully someone has and can chime in.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
thanks TG...you're input on that thread is fantastic. i started this one because the guys at bilstein seem to think that the length will not be an issue for AWD apllication. i am skeptical and was wondering if anyone out there had tried it. Hopefully someone has and can chime in.
I don't know if you'll find someone that tried. I hope so...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
you called bilstein? can you just ask them to ...."share" what they build for Heico...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the Koni FSD on my AWD and even stock height they bottom out. I cut the bump stops to give more clearance but big mistake when they bottomed out it was a hard crunch. With the stock bump stops back in the botoming out is fairly soft(unless you have three passengers and luggage in the rear. )

BTW the FSD are a great all around shock. They feel firm in the corners but smooth when cruzing.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Victor. so based on your experience at stock height i am guessing this is a no-go for me with only the mild ~1.3" drop from the Eibachs. sigh....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you called bilstein? can you just ask them to ...."share" what they build for Heico...
no "direct" contact. i have been cc'd on emails between Bilstein and one of their vendors.

Anyone on here own or work for an auto parts store that can contact Bilstein about "stocking" these parts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts