SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So unplugging the yaw sensor (deep under the passenger seat (as defined for LHD cars, I.e. the right seat), under the carpet/pad to the right, follow small wiring harness, best to put the seat all the way up and forward) unlocks full hoon mode: no traction or stability control, you keep ABS and AWD. I haven't noted any other detriment- reduced power mode, etc. From my research there shouldn't be any issues plugging/unplugging, the calibration in the brake controller is specific to the individual yaw sensor. Long term plan is to put a switch in the power to the yaw sensor and then have on/off capability.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
awesome.. have any pictures or diagrams or anything? and how did you confirm it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
All I want for Christmas is some snow and a write up on this, for opposite lock satisfaction! Please Santa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome.. have any pictures or diagrams or anything? and how did you confirm it?
Perhaps eventually I'll do a write-up.

Confirmation: in snowy/icy parking lot, pulled ebrake one click and spun tires to my hearts content (traction control defeated, same behavior as pushing the DSTC button); dropped ebrake and did wonderful, tight donuts to my hearts content (stability control defeat). The same donut actions this morning resulted in the stupid skid light on the dash and braking efforts to counter act my attempts at fun. Then, to test ABS slammed on the brakes to a nice ABS stop.

All I want for Christmas is some snow and a write up on this, for opposite lock satisfaction! Please Santa!

Ha. Snow was what motivated me to do this....we finally got some and my attempts at donuts was thwarted....BUT NOT ANY MORE. =)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So, is the Yaw sensor in the same place on all three P1 chassis? I thought it was above the head liner?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe so, though all my research centered on the S40. I've never heard for a stability control yaw sensor being placed in the headliner, you want it low in the chassis.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Photos of location please. I don't seem to have a sensor under the passenger seat in my V50.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I thought that the AWD only engaged under traction loss. Do we have a way to get around that that I missed somewhere?

You noted the 1 handbrake click which is the trick for the P2. Did we find that was also the case for us?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^haha

so you pull the handbrake up just one click-- and that does what exactly?
still need a picture of the yaw sensor if you get a chance to get under there again.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
It appears to always be under the right seat, whether you're left or right hand drive.

Works for FWD as well, but leaves the orange "!" on the dash which does not go away even with pressing the messages button.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So, just to confirm this is the module you are talking about?

If so it appears that breaking the connection to pin #3 on 7/164 (yellow wire red stripe) would accomplish the same thing. So, you could add a switch. The question is, would the CEL clear once the yaw sensor is re-enabled (and the car is restarted) just as with killing F7 on the ABS controller seen here as 4/16?

If this is true I propose we call this mod the DrJonez de-nanny mod.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
So what is the point to all this? Why would I want to disable awd by pulling the ebrake 1 click? I wish I could permanently engage awd. I wish I could permanently disable DSTC. In the snow it kills the throttle, and when your driving a manual it's almost caused me to stall.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So what is the point to all this? Why would I want to disable awd by pulling the ebrake 1 click? I wish I could permanently engage awd. I wish I could permanently disable DSTC. In the snow it kills the throttle, and when your driving a manual it's almost caused me to stall.

That's what he is talking about. Disconnecting the power going to pin #3 of the yaw sensor should disable spin control and traction control. However, what he is saying is that it KEEPS ABS and AWD!! Something we have been trying to achieve for a while.

The ebrake thing was just to verify that AWD was still working. When you pull the ebrake up one notch the RWD dissables allowing massive burnouts if the spin control (traction control) is off.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts