SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I lowered my car last week, and it was sub optimal. So, I'm sharing what I've learned. I mean, it looked kind of great, but sadly, wasn't going to work for me.
Lowered:

I currently own a 2009 s60 2.5t awd, and the car has about 54k miles on it, car's in great shape, still have a year of factory warranty left. I am not trying to dump a lot of money into extensive upgrades right now, got married last year, moved cross country, and planning a big honeymoon next year (with another big move on the horizon). So, as with past cars, I was hoping to drop lowering springs in and call it a day with a little negative rear camber (granted I've been looking into this for years, and have owned a few S60's).

I kept finding mixed information, so I tried the one simple drop spring option, the Eibach R springs (8434.14) on factory struts.

Here's the results of the height, OEM equipment measurement ((lowered measurement )):
- Ground to grill bottom 19.75" ((19.5"))
- Front wheel arch 26.25" ((25.5"))
- Rear wheel well 28.25" ((25.5"))
- Ground to bumper lip 24.75" ((21.5"))

And the alignment, Oem equipment ((lowered)):
- Rear left camber - 0.8 ((-3.1))
- Rear right camber -0.9 ((-3.4))
- Rear left toe 0.17 ((0.37))
- Rear right toe 0.17 ((0.31))

I'm only including the basic rear data, as that's the non adjustable end that will cause more issues. Common estimate at the alignment shop was 6k miles until tires were toast. (Factory specs call for - 1.3 to 0.7 degrees camber, and 0.0 to 0.2 degrees toe)

Oh, the camber

I chose to remove the Springs, put things back to factory, and pursue this at a later date.

Not lowered:

But since I made it here, and there have been a rash of new questions lately regarding some things, I'm sharing what I gathered. I am by no means an expert, but I've done some research, learned a few things, and very recently, played around a bit.

As always. Your mileage may vary.

Here in the US, we got 2 AWD variations for the P2 S60 (2001-2009), the R and the 2.4/5T. The R's have their own forum, I'm sticking to the non R's here.
We have 2 primary damper systems, standard struts or nivomats (http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10024/what-are-nivomat-shocks-and-does-my-volvo-have-them). I'm under the impression nivomats were much less common, but check it out before you start planning things. Everything here is for standard shocks, not nivomats.
I'm not touching struts here.

So, what options are there for Springs. All my research yielded 4 current options:
- Eibach pro kit #8434.14 (made for the R, nothing else)
- BC coilovers, kit ZG08
- KW coilovers, V1 (non adjustable)
- KW coilovers, V2 (adjustable)
- Scale Suspension Innovative Series (R&D pending? Eta unknown)
- CX Racing #*CO-B-Volvo-S60-AWD-0107-0512 (jeg5263) http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...B-Volvo-S60-AWD-0107-0512&Category_Code=covol
- Discontinued Eibach kit #8429.14 (the proper kit for the awd non R)

In digging deeper, I've uncovered some POSSIBlLE alternatives that aren't on the radar. I have yet to test these, but there is a legitimate logic to them (I'm throwing these here for future reference):
- OEM front T5 Springs (lower than stock awd)
- OEM rear R Springs (non nivomat). In theory, these will bolt right on and give a slight lower stance in the rear. (I believe this has been done, waiting for pics from a friend on Facebook)
- And my favorite bastardization idea, OEM xc70 front Springs to lift the front a bit to match the rear. :)

The second 2 are based on the principle that the P2 chassis shares components, Springs are interchangeable. In THEORY, you can put oem XC70 Springs on for a lift, or oem R Springs on to lower a little bit (as always, pairing non nivomat to non nivomat).

Nothing new, but if you lower, and get bad camber and or toe, head over to IPD. They sell what's required to try and correct these numbers, an offset rear lower arm bushing that may get you 1.5-2 degrees of camber back (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5711/112394-rear-camber-bushing-kit) and rear toe rods (http://www.ipdusa.com/products/10249/121589-adjustable-rear-toe-rods )
If you want long tire life and optimum tire performance, do it right and fix the rear.

Note, this rear bushing is pressed into the frame, so it's recommended to have a shop do it (didn't get quotes, but was estimated $150+) for this.
Also, because the rear bushing is going to pull the bottom of the tire inward, you may want/need spacers to push the wheel back out to the edge (maybe roll the fender too)

I've been trying to type and proof read this on my tablet, so if I've made a mistake someone call me out and I'll fix or remove.

Swapping Springs is potentially unsafe, always be careful and use proper tools.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you know of what differences the xc70 rear set up and the S60 awd rear set up? I found posts of people with XC70 P2 who used the S60 awd rear springs becuase they gave about a 1/4" extra drop.
I have been curious what vice versa would result in.

I love the way the front of your car looks lowered but the rear just looks over lowered to me. Almost like the trunk is loaded.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
It sucks that lowering didn't work out for you (yet). But really nice of you to make this thread and fill it with useful information for other AWD-ers that are interested in lowering. I hope you get your suspension where you want it someday!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know of what differences the xc70 rear set up and the S60 awd rear set up? I found posts of people with XC70 P2 who used the S60 awd rear springs becuase they gave about a 1/4" extra drop.
I have been curious what vice versa would result in.

I love the way the front of your car looks lowered but the rear just looks over lowered to me. Almost like the trunk is loaded.
Hmmm. I do not have any info on that. Yes, I've been seeing the same information.

I was focused on XC Springs up front to bring the front end up to meet the rear (like a S60 Cross Country), OR, R rear springs to lessen the rake.

I mean, XC70 guys have used S60 awd Springs to go down and xc90 springs to go up, so there's some level of consistency to the engineering.

This part is still the prototype area, but if I ever have the chance to play with more springs and not lose money buying new parts, I'm still interested to try. But 2 suspension swaps in 1 week is enough for now

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for visual reference, here's the side by side of the springs
Fronts

Rears

& my little helper 3rd hand, helpful for mounting the strut and especially for replacing the factory rear spring back (except you get better/safer leverage jacking between the lower control arm and the body mount behind the plastic fender liner)

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is one sharp car.........not lowered (my preference ). Pics 4 & 5 are great btw. South Dakota?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is one sharp car.........not lowered (my preference ). Pics 4 & 5 are great btw. South Dakota?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Now I see why people are tempted to cut a coil, if my rear was a touch lower (level essentially) I'd be most content.

And I'm in central Illinois (U of I), but here's when I bought her near Seattle on a hike in the north Cascades:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
224 Posts
Damn it, you are correct. I just edited the post since part numbers and details matter. Thanks
It's fine. At work this summer I had one page memos go through half a dozen revisions with my boss and I was STILL making errors. Solid post, but we should make one about shocks/struts/lowering springs. There are many more options and some that most people don't know about like the blue struts and blue springs from this one company. Don't remember name off the top of my head.

·
Registered
454 Posts
There are many more options and some that most people don't know about like the blue struts and blue springs from this one company.
If we're talking about quality and performance there are not to much options... Koni doesn't have set for AWD now , Bilstein as well...so ...What we have it?! KW1 , KW2 , and BC ...correct me if I'm wrong .

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I added the discontinued items that I can recall, any additional information, specifically with item numbers, I'll keep adding.
If we get a solid and concise list we'll have to see about making a sticky

·
Registered
219 Posts
The P2 V70R spring might also be an option since the rear springs should have a bit higher load spring rate. 8433.140

Also 8428.140 01-06 s60/v70/2.4t/awd/wagon might be an option

·
Registered
224 Posts
If we're talking about quality and performance there are not to much options... Koni doesn't have set for AWD now , Bilstein as well...so ...What we have it?! KW1 , KW2 , and BC ...correct me if I'm wrong .
I forgot options are totally different for AWD vs FWD. Whoops

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bilstein HD for the front and oem for the back, I think that's the "best" combination of struts that are available for AWD, but this is just going from the dusty memory

·
Registered
219 Posts
I added the discontinued items that I can recall, any additional information, specifically with item numbers, I'll keep adding.
If we get a solid and concise list we'll have to see about making a sticky
You're welcome to what i have found during my search for lowering springs.

EIBACH 8428.140 PRO KIT: V70 9/01-06 (2.4T/AWD/WAGON)
EIBACH 8429.140 PRO KIT: S60 AWD
EIBACH 8430.140 PRO KIT: XC70 6/03-06
EIBACH 8433.140 PRO KIT: V70R 3/03-06 (2.5T AWD WAGON)
EIBACH 8434.140 PRO KIT: S60R 04-06 (SEDAN)

H&R 29361-4 SPORT SPRING: VOLVO S60-R 04-UP
H&R 29452-2 SPORT SPRING: VOLVO V70 WGN 00-UP W/ S.L. SUSP.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're welcome to what i have found during my search for lowering springs.

EIBACH 8428.140 PRO KIT: V70 9/01-06 (2.4T/AWD/WAGON)
EIBACH 8429.140 PRO KIT: S60 AWD
EIBACH 8430.140 PRO KIT: XC70 6/03-06
EIBACH 8433.140 PRO KIT: V70R 3/03-06 (2.5T AWD WAGON)
EIBACH 8434.140 PRO KIT: S60R 04-06 (SEDAN)

H&R 29361-4 SPORT SPRING: VOLVO S60-R 04-UP
H&R 29452-2 SPORT SPRING: VOLVO V70 WGN 00-UP W/ S.L. SUSP.
Daaang, nice, I'll look at this better after work.
I never thought to dig into the wagon lowering springs, but that may be a valuable option for some

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spiked, your car looks great. Thank you for the info. Please post pics and info about the rear R Springs on the 2.5t awd. I love the look of this car even sitting at stock height but having the rear down just a hair would make a huge difference.

On the Nivomat topic... How do I be sure I do not have these on my car. I looked but I just can't tell.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts

1 - 20 of 38 Posts