SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there is a difference in the strut body length but my question is regarding the springs and associated hardware. Is all the spring hardware physically interchangeable? I know the spring rate is probably different but will the FWD springs physically fit on the AWD?

A quick response would be most appreciated! Found a killer deal on some adjustable springs but they are FWD.

Thanks in advance!

Free six pack of beer to the first person who can give me proof that the hardware is interchangeable or not :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I was involved in that conversation too. However, nobody answers if the spring perches are different or the coil length is any different. I don't think they are. It seems limited to just the strut tower mount and hence struts are different heights. Again, I'm looking for info on the springs themselves.

I may have to just buy the hardware and report back. I would really rather not blow the cash though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, they aren't different. I'm AWD, running FWD BC Racing coilovers...they fit just fine.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, they aren't different. I'm AWD, running FWD BC Racing coilovers...they fit just fine.
Man, that's great news! So the BC's are adjustable rear spring collars? Also, if the strut is adjustable on the BC's are you all the way at the lowest setting to make up for the shorter AWD strut body? How low are you running? Also, what are your thoughts on the FWD spring rate on the rear of the AWD. Its an extra 100+ lbs per side right? Does it feel a little undersprung?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Man, that's great news! So the BC's are adjustable rear spring collars? Also, if the strut is adjustable on the BC's are you all the way at the lowest setting to make up for the shorter AWD strut body? How low are you running? Also, what are your thoughts on the FWD spring rate on the rear of the AWD. Its an extra 100+ lbs per side right? Does it feel a little undersprung?
Yup, adjustable rear spring collar with a custom spring that's ~65mm up top (on the collar) and the stock size on the bottom. Yup, I have the strut bottomed out on adjustment and it is in the middle of the travel for my ride height (63mm front FTG, 65mm rear FTG). I think the FWD spring rate is a bit low, it does feel undersprung....nothing terrible and unlikely the average guy would notice, I just run the dampers a bit more firm. I've been considering contacting BC to see if they would put out a higher rate spring....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you win some beer LOL!

Please explain the custom spring size? Do you mean the coil has been specially wound for the AWD?? Im a bit confused.

·
Registered
513 Posts
...Please explain the custom spring size? Do you mean the coil has been specially wound for the AWD?? Im a bit confused.
The spring is custom designed for the P1 platform vs. what BC does for most of their strut applications, which is use a common spring size over a common strut cartridge mounted in custom housings/top plates. In other words, there's no real way for them to make the P1 platform use an off the shelf spring. Hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea,

So, presumably other coil-over vendors had to do the same thing for the P1. Sounds like I'm good. Have any pictures of current ride height since you are at the center of the strut travel? I'm interested since I'm not trying to slam the car. I just want a couple of finger gap and better suspension control.

FYI, I think Megan makes different spring rates for the P1. Im going to check with them if I run into the same issue you mentioned with it being under-sprung.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I remember someone on here running H&R springs for a fwd in their awd without issue.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
So your just trying to put some FWD lowering springs on an AWD with stock hardware (other than the springs) correct? Sounds fun what kinda springs tho?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct,

According to one of the Megan racing vendors there are multiple spring rates that work with the P1 FWD chassis. A shop near me has the adjustment perches and FWD rear springs just sitting around. I think they are only 5kg/mm so they may be too soft. I have contacted Megan regarding higher rates. I will hopefully hear from them when they get back from vacation.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks like BC is using 5kg springs too:

http://www.bcracing-na.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/BC-application-list-2014.pdf

Correct,

According to one of the Megan racing vendors there are multiple spring rates that work with the P1 FWD chassis. A shop near me has the adjustment perches and FWD rear springs just sitting around. I think they are only 5kg/mm so they may be too soft. I have contacted Megan regarding higher rates. I will hopefully hear from them when they get back from vacation.
Please post up your findings. Can you post a pic of the perch and adjustment mechanism? I'm guessing it is the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts