SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I thought an R a few months ago. I was having a little fun the other night and the front wheels broke loose. I shut the traction control off and the front wheels will just spin. any ideas? coupler, angle gear, haldex.. is there anyway to diagnose what broke?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Probably the collar sleeve... Is there any fluid coming out of the angle gear? If it was Haldex, you'd probably have an error message.

Drive carefully or your front tires will be worn to threads in a week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No error codes. And no leaking that I've noticed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you can try thins: jack up one side of the car so you can turn a front wheel and still see the center prop shaft (use stands of course)! If the sleeve is stripped you will be able to turn the front wheel and the prop shaft will not turn. If the sleeve is intact then the prop shaft will spin with the wheel.

If you scan the car, most of the rear end failures will show up in the DEM fault code list- pump failures, DEM failures etc.

For my part- I had a bad pump motor most likely caused by the clogged haldex filter with "lifetime" fluid...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can try thins: jack up one side of the car so you can turn a front wheel and still see the center prop shaft (use stands of course)! If the sleeve is stripped you will be able to turn the front wheel and the prop shaft will not turn. If the sleeve is intact then the prop shaft will spin with the wheel.

If you scan the car, most of the rear end failures will show up in the DEM fault code list- pump failures, DEM failures etc.

For my part- I had a bad pump motor most likely caused by the clogged haldex filter with "lifetime" fluid...
Would Those failures cause a cel? Or would I have to scan to see the dtc

·
Registered
66 Posts
No CEL/warning light- you would have to scan to get the code.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
No CEL/warning light- you would have to scan to get the code.
Yep, if the DEM detects the oil pressure in the Haldex unit is too low it throws a code but no message at all on the dash.
There's probably a lot of AWD Volvos running in FWD mode with clueless owners...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of scanning would I need to use to detect it

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
If that coller is stripped, no codes will pop up. The center drive shaft always spins with the front tires. If its not spinning your sleeve is dead. Simple as that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check the shaft before I do anything. Might need to track down a scanner. I'm used to vagwith all my vws.. the R is my first Volvo

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I'll check the shaft before I do anything. Might need to track down a scanner. I'm used to vagwith all my vws.. the R is my first Volvo
'04r... my money is on a stripped collar/sleeve. +1000000 if it's never been replaced before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hasn't been replaced as far as I know. Car was owned by an older guy and maintained regularly at the dealership.. only has 80k mi. Really hoping its something simpler and not as expensive. My luck its probably the worst case. I'll know in a couple hours when I check the shaft spin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So I jacked up one side of the car. Spun the front wheel freely.. car was in neutral and the rear wheel was still on the ground. Does one entire side have to be off the ground or just the front wheel? Also, car doesn't need to be in gear for this.. correct?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you had three on the ground with only one frt wheel lifted when you were able to spin then it is the collar.
Does not have to be in gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anyone know a place in the Rhode Island mass area that can do it for a reasonable price

1 - 16 of 16 Posts