SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been talking w moosetech he said to replace the rear diff fluid.

After reading about this i found out there is haldex fluid change as well.

Are these necessary? 164k miles.

Also ive never.done the trans fluid yet

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Those fluids are pretty overdue in my opinion. You should change out the fluid in the angle gear, the DEM unit and the rear diff as well as your gearbox oil. The catch is that there are no drains on the AWD components (the gearbox does have a drain) so you'll have to suction the old fluid out. This can be done with a MyTvac type pump or if you have access to compressed air it can make the job easier. It's been a while since I've owned an S40 but I believe each component takes a different fluid.

You should be able to find a write up in the R forum.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any diy on these?

Dem?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
There are 2 threads in the sticky.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dem haldex?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am another one that has been putting this off. At 185,000 miles my 05 awd automatic still has the original haldex fluid. My local dealer that I bought the car from new in York PA advised me that the fluid is good for the life of the car,I know HAHA. Greg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just had my fluids changed yesterday. Manual says fluids are forever, I had a local Volvo mech tell me he had never changed the fluids and did NOT have the tools to do so. 2007 V50 AWD 6spd with 145000 miles. Anyway, my reg. mech said the old rear diff fluid had the consistency of tooth paste. I urge anyone with AWD to have the fluid changed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sounds like another project to add to my list. Good to know. Now we need to make a good instructional write up with fluids and part numbers.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Just had my fluids changed yesterday. Manual says fluids are forever, I had a local Volvo mech tell me he had never changed the fluids and did NOT have the tools to do so. 2007 V50 AWD 6spd with 145000 miles. Anyway, my reg. mech said the old rear diff fluid had the consistency of tooth paste. I urge anyone with AWD to have the fluid changed.
Definitely on my short to-do list - because common sense tells you that oil breaks down over time in high heat situations (period). Volvo must be taking crazy pills. I'm going to drain and fill every drivetrain fluid I can and I recommend everyone does the same, especially in their awd system. Oh, if you do have AWD, make sure to get a new filter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it depends on how the vehicle is driven. I replaced my fluids at 160k, and despite the horror stories on the stickied threads about the "swamp piss" smell of the AOC Haldex fluid, mine was not even dark. I replaced the Haldex filter as well and again, did not see the junk plastered to it that others have noted. The only fluid that i was concerned about was the bevel gear (the front transfer case). It was quite low, and after about a 70 mile drive to warm up the oil prior to changing the unit was about as hot as the exhaust. I should probably see if the same temps are there now with the fresh fluid.

Now, i must caveat that i bought this at 110k, and i do not know what the previous owner did as far as maintenance. I will say that he had replaced the battery with a volvo unit, so my guess is he did everything at the dealer and therefore lifetime lube was probably never touched. The AOC filter cap was also the old style steel (mine is a 2005) vs. the never heat sink aluminum, so another mark for nearly 10 yr old fluid.

here are the PNs

Bevel Gear 31259380 - 1qt
AOC 31325136 - 1qt
AOC filter 30681138
Rear Diff - 1161620 - 1qt

I used amsoil Manual Tranny for my M66 - I bought 3 qt, but as others have said only 2 qt is really needed. Same thing on the above, i have a little left over in each bottle. I also used a syringe rather than a pump / extractor. Worked pretty well, just need a piece of about 8" hose on the end to reach the furthest places. It is a bit of a pain in the arse - especially getting to the AOC fluid fill port, but once you know how to contort your hands to get into it no problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
follow up on fluid change. replaced all fluids in drive train. car runs more quietly at all speeds. acceleration is smoother and needs less effort when cold. at highway speeds tach seems to be about 100 rpm lower than before. haven't checked mileage yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rearend lube and bearings

We just had a left rear wheel bearing failure in awd s40 ( achilies wheel bearing ?) and replaced at tacoma dealer
for a big ouch. When changing this bearing do they effectively change rear end oil all the way across rear drive ?
I wish to consider changing other rear wheel bearing now . can we change with out buying whole hub ? Does other un replaced
bearing have fresh lube because 1 was changed ?

I think it depends on how the vehicle is driven. I replaced my fluids at 160k, and despite the horror stories on the stickied threads about the "swamp piss" smell of the AOC Haldex fluid, mine was not even dark. I replaced the Haldex filter as well and again, did not see the junk plastered to it that others have noted. The only fluid that i was concerned about was the bevel gear (the front transfer case). It was quite low, and after about a 70 mile drive to warm up the oil prior to changing the unit was about as hot as the exhaust. I should probably see if the same temps are there now with the fresh fluid.

Now, i must caveat that i bought this at 110k, and i do not know what the previous owner did as far as maintenance. I will say that he had replaced the battery with a volvo unit, so my guess is he did everything at the dealer and therefore lifetime lube was probably never touched. The AOC filter cap was also the old style steel (mine is a 2005) vs. the never heat sink aluminum, so another mark for nearly 10 yr old fluid.

here are the PNs

Bevel Gear 31259380 - 1qt
AOC 31325136 - 1qt
AOC filter 30681138
Rear Diff - 1161620 - 1qt

I used amsoil Manual Tranny for my M66 - I bought 3 qt, but as others have said only 2 qt is really needed. Same thing on the above, i have a little left over in each bottle. I also used a syringe rather than a pump / extractor. Worked pretty well, just need a piece of about 8" hose on the end to reach the furthest places. It is a bit of a pain in the arse - especially getting to the AOC fluid fill port, but once you know how to contort your hands to get into it no problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You are thinking of an old solid rear axle. The wheel bearing on these is totally self contained & has it's own grease. Yes, the Volvo/Ford way is to replace the hub assembly.

Rear diff oil is totally separate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
EuropeanCar magazine 10/15 issue had an article on '04 VW Golf R32. The following comment was made: "Remember also that the fluid and filter in the Haldex system will need replacing every 35,000 !!(my emphasis) miles." Every 35K seems a bit excessive, but to those wondering if they should do it, the answer is YES.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Did my AWD drivetrain a few weeks back - kind of a pain in the butt job to do, but easily DIY'able. My fluid was, generally, in great shape. The Haldex unit was low on fluid and the filter looked a bit rough, but otherwise it was fine. My recommendation to everyone: buy a gear oil hand pump (one that fits on a bottle and pumps fluid out) and when it comes time to remove fluid out of the rear end, install a small tube onto the input side of the pump and then pump fluid out of the differential. Soooooooooooooooo (can I emphasis this more?) much easier than using something like a turkey baster.

Btw, where's the bevel / angle gear drain plug? I never found that one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi all
can anyone tell me if the oil in the diff is the same as in the front transfer box--may sound a silly q but have had a few sites selling oil as diff / transfer box oil.--any help would be good--thx
i have a 2000 mk1 v70r awd [ phase 3 ]

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hi all
can anyone tell me if the oil in the diff is the same as in the front transfer box--may sound a silly q but have had a few sites selling oil as diff / transfer box oil.--any help would be good--thx
i have a 2000 mk1 v70r awd [ phase 3 ]
No Idea about V70R, but on V50 there is separate oil listed for rear diff and separate for angle gear. How those differ, cannot tell you, I just got both from Volvo and didnt worry about spec.
1161620 pn for diff oil
31259380 pn for angle gear oil
if thats any help to you?

·
Registered
868 Posts
M56 and M66 gear oil: 75W-80 GL-4 or GL-5 (yellow metal safe), such as Redline MTL or Fuchs Titan Sintofluid
AW50 ATF: Toyota T-IV compatible ATF, such as Aisin ATF-0T4 or Mobil One 3309
Angle gear and rear diff: 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil
Haldex: Haldex/AOC specific fluid, such as Volvo OE 31367941 or Febi-Bilstein 101171

1 - 19 of 19 Posts