SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we had a quick rainstorm here in SC, just enough to bring all of the oil and road junk to the surface... For the first time in more than two years with my R, I experienced wheel spin. It seemed as if the AWD had completely failed. No traction control light, no warning/info messages, nothing. Just...no traction. After the road dried out, I accelerated a bit more aggressively and felt (again, for the first time) power steer. That's something I didn't expect from this car. I'm a "spirited" driver in most cases and I've not seen anything like this before.

Just as mysteriously, it seems fine this week.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Perhaps and explanation?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another victim here.

I have just experienced the same symptoms almost exactly as described above, so I am off to the shop in the morning.

Thank God I had the good judgement to purchase the VIP warranty. I'll post the results of my trip afterward.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I just had this repaired last week. When I get home, I can give you a complete rundown of what they did. Basically, they checked and replaced one of the AWD sensors.

The right shop should know how to fix it easily. It took me 2 tries at different shops to find the right one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went this morning (no appt - that usually works if you're there at 7am), but they wanted to hang on to the car until Tuesday. I didn't want it to be left outside on their lot over the long weekend, so I set an appointment for Thursday morning.

That's probably for the better, I'd figure that their more experienced mechanics are on vacation and those working already have the long weekend on their minds.

That seems to be the mindset at most workplaces this part of the year. Mine is no exception.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Re: (holderad)

Quote, originally posted by holderad »
I did the test where I put one wheel up....nothing. I spun that wheel for 5 minutes straight. So? Bad angle gear? Why do they go bad so fast?

2004 models seem to have more problems than most. A lot have already been replaced. The angle gear is considered the weak link in the drive train http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Since I had it replaced in Germany, no problems. And, I don't exactly drive like a grandma, like other people have admitted

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: (speedemon)

I think VermontR had the same issues. No AWD. If I am not mistaken, he replaced his angle gear himself (based on what the dealer said was broken) and it didn't fix it. Then he tried the one wheel in the air test and it failed (with the new angle gear). In the end I think he decided that there was something wrong in the tranny (M66).

BTW. I tried the test (jack and spin one front wheel and watch the center driveshaft to see if it spins), and it worked, so that is in fact a good test. It should be the first step in identifying AWD issues.

If the shaft spins and you still have No AWD then you have an Active on Demand (AOC)/Haldex problem. The two most common failures are the pressure switch going bad or a software glitch (which requres an update for trouble code DEM-00B). Both of which are relatively simple and inexpensive repairs.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (JAGMAN)

Saw a D5 AT AWD, 2005 and 62K miles, on an autolift last week. AT in drive, shaft to the rear not turning.

Last thursday they removed the angle gear and took out the spline ring. First time I saw it upclose. The splines where completely gone on the angle gear side of the ring, polished and shiny and almost no traces of the splines to be found. Weird enough both the gearbox shaft and angle gear shaft appeared OK. Taking the ring out was a big hassle btw, was very tight on the gearbox shaft. A new hardened ring was put back in and all was OK again.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: (Johann)

Just to clear up any confusion... To do the Angle Gear Test the car can be in neutral. When I did the test I had just one front wheel off the ground and had my wife spin the tire as I watched the drive shaft. I am not sure if having both front tires off the ground at the same time will effect the results of the test. Pretty easy.

I thought parts for the angle gear were unavailable, where did the shop get the spline ring? Sounds cheaper than replacing the whole angle gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.