SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im down to the axle and driveshaft removal of pulling my old engine on my 99 XC. how do i? from where?

ps:do i need to pull the whole engine wiring?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
AWD axles come out the same way as FWD (probably in Bay13 on VS, if not on here). Assuming from the overall text, you are removing the engine & trans. In that case, all you need to do with the AWD driveshaft is unbolt the front CV from the bevel gear flange, that's it. Remove the BG with the engine & trans.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those are 6mm allens correct? I am still having trouble getting the axles out. cant find anything about it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yes, 6mm allens for the CV.

For axle removal:

Loosen axle nut (remove hubcap, loosen nut with 3/4 drive socket, long extension - I use the jack handle for extra leverage & stand on it)

remove balljoint securing bolt. Pull balljoint down & out of C/arm, swing spindle to the rear of wheel well.

D/S: Yank Axle out of trans - hold shaft inbetween CV's & 'pop' the shaft free from the trans/diff. Alternately, use a pry bar between trans & inner CV flange to 'pop' circlip free of differential.

P/S: unbolt axle carrier flange (2x 12mm bolts) from engine. Pull axle from diff.

If you didn't drain the trans, put catch tray under axles as you remove them, trans fluid will escape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts