SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still new to the volvo/R world I have a couple questions that I couldnt find much info on with my search. I thought my AWD wasnt working because in the rain I turned my DTSC off and the fronts spun like mad as the rears just rolled. I can feel the car pulling to one side when I give it gas around a corner. And im pretty sure I get some crazy torque steer. So I lifted the car last night to check the DEM and see if all tires spun. I put the caR in drive and they all spun. This means the DEM is working fine right? Any thought on what would cause the over steer and fronts to spin easily compared to the rears?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Still new to the volvo/R world I have a couple questions that I couldnt find much info on with my search. I thought my AWD wasnt working because in the rain I turned my DTSC off and the fronts spun like mad as the rears just rolled. I can feel the car pulling to one side when I give it gas around a corner. And im pretty sure I get some crazy torque steer. So I lifted the car last night to check the DEM and see if all tires spun. I put the caR in drive and they all spun. This means the DEM is working fine right? Any thought on what would cause the over steer and fronts to spin easily compared to the rears?
Well if all 4 tires spin in drive, your AWD is working. If your AWD is working, your DEM is working.

Worn tires? Do you get the same results with traction control enabled?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires I have less than 8000 miles on them. I can still feel major torque steer when DTSC is on.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Doesn't sound like the AWD is working properly. Doesn't matter if DTSC is on or not, I would test by disabling DTSC off (DTSC button - 5 times), if AWD doesn't work, you will easily spin your front tires.

DEM failure would throw codes and a error message on the dash. "Anti-Skid Service Required".

·
Registered
473 Posts
to check your angle gear you put the car in the air to see if they all spin.

your dem will throw a code that volvo will have to read. it will be on the dash when it first happens then it will go away.

cheapest route would be to get the codes read at a volvo dealer. get them to clear the codes. punch it. drive hard and see if the awd dies out. this time you will be in the car to see the dash light message.

if that is the case do this with your dem unit. xemodex.com

i just had mine rebuilt for 500 bucks with a 2 day turn around.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
He said his wheels all spin so the angle gear should be fine. I guess in theory, the DEM could be sending incorrect torque to the rear wheels. Would a software malfunction like this throw a code?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DevolvR: I was romping on it this morning pretty hard with DTSC off in the rain. I couldnt get any tires to spin. They gripped and went. Iunno if its a tempermental issue or what but it seemed to work fine. Im gonna try it in my backyard later and see if I can get all 4 to spin in the grass. This morning no codes came up at all.

to check your angle gear you put the car in the air to see if they all spin.

your dem will throw a code that volvo will have to read. it will be on the dash when it first happens then it will go away.

cheapest route would be to get the codes read at a volvo dealer. get them to clear the codes. punch it. drive hard and see if the awd dies out. this time you will be in the car to see the dash light message.

if that is the case do this with your dem unit. xemodex.com

i just had mine rebuilt for 500 bucks with a 2 day turn around.
I put the car in the air last night and all fours spun. No codes came up. I figured ill drive it another 5k miles untill its due for its 60k service and have volvo check it then. I actually just bought that service from xemodex thinking I would have to send my DEM out. But after checking it I dont think its my DEM, so hopefully I can get a full return and not have to eat the shipping costs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Also I checked connectors A & B from the flow chart below when I was under the car last night. Connector A had power going to it but I noticed Connector B didnt. Was this because the car was in key position II and not running? I didnt want to start the car then crawl under and check it. My jackstand were kinda sketchy haha. My thought was that with Connector B being for the Hydraulic Pump it might only have power when the AWD is turning.

http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimproved/DEM Diagnostic Flow Chart.pdf

Just some more info, a week ago I had it hooked up to VIDA/DICE and the DEM wasnt comunicating with it. I checked the fuses and they were good. Do you think when the fuses were taken out the DEM "reset" or something causing it to work again? I dont have VIDA/DICE otherwise I would check it again, I used a local R owners for a night.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had a failed REM. AWD went intermittent first then totally gone, then everything behind the drivers seat went as well.

Failing module can "freak out" before they die. It's possible yours is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a GT. Im still looking for some fresh grass I can tear up. haha I tried it yesterday on my gravel driveway but all my tires did was grip and go, I didnt have any wheel spin marks.

Is there anyway I can test the REM?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts