SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2005 2.5T awd. is there any way to check the awd on a lift? i'm buying it from a new car dealer's used car lot so they should have a lift available. i really don't want to have to find a gravel lot to test the awd. any help/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Don't need a gravel lot.

Step on the brakes, floor the gas, release brakes, if there's any noticeable torque steer, AWD is shot.

Also, look under for any leaks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't need a gravel lot.

Step on the brakes, floor the gas, release brakes, if there's any noticeable torque steer, AWD is shot.

Also, look under for any leaks.
well, i know what torque steer should be from my s70 t5, so i'm guessing the power should go to the back wheels alleviating the torque steer. but instead of holding brakes and stomping the gas is there a simple way on the lift. car on in drive or off in drive and turn the wheels? i guess this would only show that the driveline works but not necessarily the electronics?

·
Registered
668 Posts
In theroy you could put it up on a lift with the wheels free, start the engine and put it into gear and all the wheels should turn, then you could apply parking brake slightly and make sure all the wheels continue to turn. You can also try the same with the normal brake. The idea is not to stop the wheels but to give them some resistance to make sure there is power to all of them. I personally like the dirt road/ gravel road test as it is more realistic. I just do not like the idea of doing when there is no real resistance on the wheels.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm looking at a 2005 2.5T awd. is there any way to check the awd on a lift? i'm buying it from a new car dealer's used car lot so they should have a lift available. i really don't want to have to find a gravel lot to test the awd. any help/advice would be appreciated.
Yes.

All wheels several inches off the ground. Start the engine and disable STS/DSTC if equipped.

Put it in gear and all the wheels should turn.

Put it in neutral and let it coast down. Apply the brake and put in park

1 - 8 of 8 Posts