SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned about taking my R to a car wash that (for lack of a better term) pulls your car through the wash along a track? I know you're not supposed to drag tow a AWD, and I was wondering if this same rule applied to this kind of car wash. Sorry but I'm new to the AWD scene.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
It's fine. It's such a low speed and short distance that it's really inconsequential.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Are you not in neutral? If so I don't think there could be an issue....I could be wrong as I often am but I would think being in neutral would take away any stress on any part...again it's in neutral.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, if you pull up the E-brake one click, it's no longer AWD :)

Also, neutral bro.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If you do take it there make sure your wheels don't get eaten alive, I've seen posts of damaged pegs cause of automatic rail washers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you do take it there make sure your wheels don't get eaten alive, I've seen posts of damaged pegs cause of automatic rail washers.
Shoot. I didn't really realize that. My pegs look fine as of right now, and I've only auto washed once. Looks like I'll be hand washing my R from now on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Shoot. I didn't really realize that. My pegs look fine as of right now, and I've only auto washed once. Looks like I'll be hand washing my R from now on.
you should be fine if its a newer wash that has a plastic rail. to be safe just hold the wheel to the inside of the rail, but not so much that you jump it lol.

·
Registered
586 Posts
you should not be using automatic car washes....hand wash FTW!!!
It's difficult for me to hand wash mine as I live in an apartment building. The tracks at most washes aren't compatible with the body kit trim, but I found a Shell station where u simply park & the machine works around the vehicle. It uses cloth brushes and my paint looks perfect afterwards/no issues. Plus when you buy a wash they discount gas .15/gallon :thumbup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you should be fine if its a newer wash that has a plastic rail. to be safe just hold the wheel to the inside of the rail, but not so much that you jump it lol.
Most places like the one I'm describing won't let you sit in the car or even guide it onto the conveyor. Probably some liability issue. I'm left either hand washing or leaving my precious R in the hands of some yobbo at the car wash.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Most places like the one I'm describing won't let you sit in the car or even guide it onto the conveyor. Probably some liability issue. I'm left either hand washing or leaving my precious R in the hands of some yobbo at the car wash.
Have fun ruining your rims, take your car to a reputable touchless (NEWER) version car wash....much better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The rims on my Audi were ruined at a car wash. I will only use touchless or hand washing on the Volvo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just spent more hours than I care to admit detailing my car because I'm afraid to let anyone else touch it! I wouildn't be able to tolerate the anxiety generated by a soulless machine having any contact with my baby. Of course, with 104 degree temps here in sunny CA, that means 6 am is the right time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts