SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these better to be cleaned or replaced? If replaced, where should I get new ones? I put a filter, fluid flush, and trans cooler on my 2001 (114k mi currently), but it still clunks from P to D sometimes and when downshifting in lower gears faster than normal.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
replace, there use to be kits of 3 on ebay.

the issue is usually the plunger gets too much sticktion with the bushing. some repair kits include a drill bit to ream them out, but probably safer to just replace them.

its kind of a 'put it off' job i have never actually done

best of luck

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
replace, there use to be kits of 3 on ebay.

the issue is usually the plunger gets too much sticktion with the bushing. some repair kits include a drill bit to ream them out, but probably safer to just replace them.

its kind of a 'put it off' job i have never actually done
Thanks. I'm dropping subframe for sway bars and delrin bushings and lower engine mounts soon so I want to include the valve body removal in that job. I blew the trans in my 2003 having fun in snow and that didn't even have any problems, but I had never done fluid maintenance on it.

There are kits on ebay that are refurb for like 90, and the new ones are like 180. Refurb'd is more my budget but I've had issues with refurb'd injectors before. Worth the savings?

Also, this a job Ithaca foreign car would be able to do? I've never asked them about aftermarket installations

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'd go with the rostra kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-Lin...310347&hash=item2ccaea7d94:g:JKgAAOSwhOdXoiq1

Funny story; I've actually purchased this exact kit for my S80 several years ago and as my luck would have it, a few days later someone rummaged through my car and stole one of them rendering the kit useless :facepalm:

Ithaca Foreign Auto are very friendly. Wouldn't hurt to give them a ring and see if they will do it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go with the rostra kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-Lin...310347&hash=item2ccaea7d94:g:JKgAAOSwhOdXoiq1

Funny story; I've actually purchased this exact kit for my S80 several years ago and as my luck would have it, a few days later someone rummaged through my car and stole one of them rendering the kit useless :facepalm:

Ithaca Foreign Auto are very friendly. Wouldn't hurt to give them a ring and see if they will do it.
Yea he's got great prices too just the last job I called him about he asked "wouldn't you rather do that yourself?" lmao. But thanks for the replies, I'll give em a call.

·
Registered
144 Posts
These are the guys I used,, They'll test, clean and calibrate your solenoids. Plus they'll modify the back cover for self cleaning.
I've used them a couple times and no problems. I like that they have a dyno rig to calibrate you solenoids so they're
set proper before installation.

https://www.transmissiontechnology.ca/

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the guys I used,, They'll test, clean and calibrate your solenoids. Plus they'll modify the back cover for self cleaning.
I've used them a couple times and no problems. I like that they have a dyno rig to calibrate you solenoids so they're
set proper before installation.

https://www.transmissiontechnology.ca/
Thanks, appreciate you guys, I went with the rostra kit and they’re being installed over the next week with a bunch of other stuff. Will update with how it shifts when I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
What was you exact issue any why you ordered these? 🙂

Just interested to see if my 2-3 flare and 3-4 jolt can be fixed by solenoids 😞.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was you exact issue any why you ordered these? 🙂

Just interested to see if my 2-3 flare and 3-4 jolt can be fixed by solenoids 😞.
Mine was bucking into drive, with a bit of a delay. The downshifts were also a bit rough when downshifting fast. I had already flushed fluid, installed k&n performance filter and a b&m? Supercooler trans cooler. Hopefully this fixes the issue. My 2003 had the 2-3 jolt and I never bothered to fix.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mine was bucking into drive, with a bit of a delay. The downshifts were also a bit rough when downshifting fast. I had already flushed fluid, installed k&n performance filter and a b&m? Supercooler trans cooler. Hopefully this fixes the issue. My 2003 had the 2-3 jolt and I never bothered to fix.

So, I have replaced the solenoids. After a solid 3-4 hours of driving today I can confidently say that there was a ****ty delay issue with the shifting and now all shifts are just about instant.
However, I stiffened up the suspension with IPD sway bars and Delrin subframe bushings. Shifts in drive are fine - e.g. no downshift or upshift issues, they are performing spectacularly.
Even the delay in shift is gone from all gears when shifting from P to D, P to R, etc. However, it bucks a little bit (instantly) from P to R or P to D. Never a delay anymore like there was before, though. Into or out of neutral there is no buck or kick at all. I'm satisfied with the result.

edit: after a few days of writing this, the buck into drive stopped. It still seems harsh into reverse but it's still always an instant shift now.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Nice man, thanks for the update. You might just need to install some anti-ping axle bolts if you are hearing a clunk or something. Its pretty normal to clunk from D to R without them installed.

They are harder to get now but I got the MTC ones from amazon and they work fine.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice man, thanks for the update. You might just need to install some anti-ping axle bolts if you are hearing a clunk or something. Its pretty normal to clunk from D to R without them installed.

They are harder to get now but I got the MTC ones from amazon and they work fine.
It’s like the whole car shakes a little when going into R. You can feel it in the seat. But it was way worse into drive and reverse before the solenoid install.

Thanks a lot though, I’ll keep them on a to do list.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For archive purposes, I did a write up on installing these solenoids a few years ago in case anybody else wants to tackle this job. Long term update my parents own that car now and the trans still shift very well. The 2-3 surge is still there, but minimal. I change the transmission fluid in that car every 30k.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/171009-project-aw55-5051/

I've installed both the new and refurb solenoids before, and I can honestly tell you I've had a quite a few issues with the refurbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts