SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding a 2005-2006 S60 T5 GT to my stable and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2005-2006 T5 has the same Torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gears like the 2004-2005 R's do? It appears they have the same 5 speed auto but I can't find any solid evidence if I did a tune whether I would need to get the Torque Delete. Anyone with first hand knowledge? I know I could ask Rob @Hilton but would rather not bother him until I need the tune file.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I posted this question a while back as I have been thinking about buying my wife a S60 T5, and the last thing I wanted to do is spend mod money on getting her car a tune, when I would rather spend the $$$ on my car.

IPD got back to me, and they said the T5's do have torque limiting in the factory software, but into not nearly as bad as in the R's, so much that IPD doesn't usually bother with removing it in their tunes.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I noticed that IPD made no mention on their site about non R's having a torque limiter in the GT. Maybe the slight limit helps with traction given there is no awd in the T5.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
All Volvo automatics have torque limited in first gears.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
All 4 and 5 speed FWD/AWD autos.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
And 6speed autos too (and all diesels too)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I posted this question a while back as I have been thinking about buying my wife a S60 T5, and the last thing I wanted to do is spend mod money on getting her car a tune, when I would rather spend the $$$ on my car.

IPD got back to me, and they said the T5's do have torque limiting in the factory software, but into not nearly as bad as in the R's, so much that IPD doesn't usually bother with removing it in their tunes.
Well it's certainly not limited to the point that you can't spin the tires. No tire smoke, but I definitely smelled some when I was getting a little sideways in OC this weekend, and I don't have a tune. And I think with even a basic tune this car would be really fun.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did contact Rob at Hilton Tuning and he confirmed there was a "torque limiter" in the stock software. I ordered a tune and had the "torque limiter" removed. Waiting on some Green Injectors before I flash it. Tire Smoke here I come!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did contact Rob at Hilton Tuning and he confirmed there was a "torque limiter" in the stock software. I ordered a tune and had the "torque limiter" removed. Waiting on some Green Injectors before I flash it. Tire Smoke here I come!
That sounds funnnn! Burnout video once it's all done?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Through the Dice unit, Hilton made a program to copy the file(s) off of your car. You send it to him via e-mail, he e-mails you the new file and you use the same program to upload it. Pretty simple process.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is that doable in Vida?
No, VIDA cannot do. I mean if you know that software well then you can do by yourself.

But, via VIDA you could know TCM tell ECM it in 1st /2nd gear. And limited engine torque. If you let ECM ignore this message then you will have full torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a 2005-2006 S60 T5 GT to my stable and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2005-2006 T5 has the same Torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gears like the 2004-2005 R's do?

The LPT engines all make less torque than the AW55 transmission's torque rating. Well, it's pretty close to the rating.

Same goes for the Nissan Maximas that use this trans, if I remember right. 268 ft-lb for the VQ35.

·
Registered
275 Posts
All 4 and 5 speed FWD/AWD autos.
My S40 with the 5 speed auto was definitely not torque limited.

Granted it had the 1.9l 4cyl, but it would happily make full manifold pressure in first gear. The tires were often not happy but the PCM was.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
There are other ways to reduce torque besides boost pressure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts