SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading today about new aftermarket automatic controls for windshield wipers. Typically, the rain/snow sensor is located behind the rear view mirror and emits light in the invisible spectrum to detect the start and amount of precipitation. They can be fitted by the car owner in a couple of hours, it is claimed, and by a mechanic rather faster! They seem highly recommended by the reviewer, some makes being better than others. I was wondering if this would be the dreaded next toy, after the Garmin navigation caper. I am sure that Darell and the rest of you clever aftermarket enthusiaasts will have a take on this. Maybe Darell will need something like this because, on the occasion that it does rain in "sunny California", he probably has to think deeply how to operate the wipers manually. Coastal gets more practice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ha.<P>Did you know that automatic wiper control was in the original spec for our cars? Yup. It was supposed to be included by the end of 2000 builds, but as far as I know, it still hasn't made it into production. They even have a new owners manual to describe the feature (but that hasn't been released yet either, of course).<P>When I ordered my car, I asked if the new windshield would be retrofitted to my car when available (at no charge to me). The dealer just laughed.<P>Sure I'd like one, but I'm a big RainX fan, and rarely use my wipers anyway...<P>Actually, it seems like the only time I use my wipers is when I accidentally hit the stalk.<BR> <BR>- Darell<p>[This message has been edited by darell (edited 05-26-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts