SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Geartronic shifts just fine, smooth as always. My problem is shifting between Park and Drive. Going into Park takes a little effort (it pulls towards Reverse), Reverse wants to pop into Neutral, and Drive pops straight into Neutral (it doesn't stay in Drive). The car wasn't to be in Neutral at all times.

I was doing some work on the car earlier, had the battery and ECU both disconnected. Could this have done something?
Maybe a hose got pinched?
I haven't gotten a chance to check the transmission fluid, would that cause this issue? Can't imagine the GT shifting would still be smooth if the fluid was low...

Any advice would be more than welcome. It's not an issue with driving, but it sure is a hassle and slight concern.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would check the shift linkage under the battery/air intake. Maybe a hose is caught on it or something. Since GT works fine, it seems like its the mechanical shift and not the computer, as the GT uses computer.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Definitely sounds like linkage issue. Shifter blind perhaps? These can cause all manner of weirdness when they start to break apart.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It's gonna be the shifter linkage. Any fluid issues will manifest themselves as trans whining noises, erratic shifts, long delay to engage reverse or drive, etc.

Please don't rip into the fluid pan.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does the shifter linkage look like? I haven't explored the engine bay that deeply before. Pics would be welcome!

·
Registered
837 Posts
sorry no pix, but its a silver rod under the battery that have some yellow plastic on the end. youll notice it when you see it, cant miss it.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry no pix, but its a silver rod under the battery that have some yellow plastic on the end. youll notice it when you see it, cant miss it.
I'll go check right now, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was too dark to see last night, so I'll try to check later today.

However, shifting seems perfectly normal as of this morning. Is it possible for the issue to have magically fixed itself? Maybe the linkage was caught and wiggled itself loose? :confused:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its possible that some dirt buildup or debris made the linkage stick. But i wouldnt be too worried

·
Registered
837 Posts
It was too dark to see last night, so I'll try to check later today.

However, shifting seems perfectly normal as of this morning. Is it possible for the issue to have magically fixed itself? Maybe the linkage was caught and wiggled itself loose? :confused:
that's very peculiar, maybe a mouse was building a nest in there and decided to vacate over night haha. seriously though, I assume this will come back one day. I don't see this as being a ghost in the machine or hiccup. but who know maybe its just one of those things that happens.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I dislodged something when fitting the ECU bracket, it's just a matter of getting things back in order again.

The problem came back this evening, not as bad, but it's still there. I'll figure it out this weekend...

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the ECU bracket was touching the linkage and causing the issue. Bent back the ECU bracket some and problem solved!

Thank you fellow SwedeSpeeders for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what was getting pushed on:

I'm assuming that's the linkage as it appears to lead towards the gear selector.

·
Registered
837 Posts
yup that's it. if anything Is touching or hindering its movement that will cause it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts