SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read that the correct aftermarket ATF to use is Mobil 3309........I've wondered if anyone has used any other fluids like Redline, Lucas or any others with any long term success? if so, which models or blends?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Re: automatic transmission fluids (xmrracer)

Also I'd like to add, what color should good auto trans fluid be? Mine is like a light brownish color and I think it may be time to change it soon, but I heard somewhere that the fluid that Volvo uses, there is an additive that gives it that brown color.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: automatic transmission fluids (bpray9223)

Quote, originally posted by bpray9223 »
Also I'd like to add, what color should good auto trans fluid be? Mine is like a light brownish color and I think it may be time to change it soon, but I heard somewhere that the fluid that Volvo uses, there is an additive that gives it that brown color.

The fluid in my S70 is a pinkish color. When it turns brown and smells burnt, its time to change it. I don't know about the Volvo additive, but I've always been told if its brown it means that its spent. Some Volvo coolants turn brown, but I don't think the AT fluid is suppose to.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: automatic transmission fluids (Cabot)

The antioxidants that stabilize most lubricating oils and ATF's start to darken as soon as they are used; that is how they work. So, some darkening is to be expected. If your oil is very dark and smells burnt or skunky--compare it to a bottle of new stuff--it is time to change it.

Mobil 3309 (for the '01 and up AT's) is made to the Aisin JWS specification for a long lasting ATF; it has higher amounts of stabilizers and anti-oxidants as well as being formulated to their specific viscosity and slip requirements.

Google search this forum for Mobil 3309 and or JWS 3309. Motor oil and ATF are amongst the most prolific topics here.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
pinkish red, i did a flush a couple months ago, bought the transmission fluid from dealer (i know i know 3309) but it was 68 bucks for 4 liters and i had one liter laying around. took the cooler hose off, stuck in 9/16in tube started car and fluid pumped out BLACK! (70K) so after it ran dry i turned off the car, plug the hose back in, poured in same amount that came out and it can only be described as butter...........yes, butter. i can not believe how great this works!

if your dipstick is even brownish, change it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts