SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm likely going to purchase the bits for a manual conversion to get the terrible BW35 out of my car. It'll be lovely to shift for myself. The parts would be: two M40s, driveshaft, shifter, pedals, clutch and pressure plate, bellhousing, clutch master and slave. I've read through some of the swap how-tos, but I do have a couple questions:

1. I could take the clutch and pressure plate from the donor car - should I also take the flywheel? Or do I want to plan on getting my old flywheel machined and use a new clutch? Basically, what clutch/flywheel parts should I get from where?

2. When I have pull the BW35 off my car, is there anything I should do "while I'm in there?" Is this a good time to do the rear main seal? (I don't think mine leaks but I want to do as much preventative maintenance as possible while major parts are off the car.)

3. The donor car comes with two M40s. Is there a way to "bench test" the transmissions to see which one is a better candidate to install? I would prefer not to rebuild one if I don't have to. Can I pull off the cover and visually inspect the gears? What should I look for?

4. I'll be swapping driveshafts to the correct M40 one. What should I be looking at on the driveshaft? Are there seals or bushings that might need to be replaced? How do I check the condition of the U-joint?

5. This is coming off a 122 that was in a front end collision, so I think I have free reign to take any bits that could be useful for the swap. Is there anything I didn't list above that's a "must-have" to make the swap easier.

6. Should I be taking the M40's crossmember, or will my automatic one be adaptable if I move it forward?

That's all I can think of right now. If I have more questions I'll ask them. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Take everything, including the flywheel and crossmember.

I personally would do the rear main seal, and upgrade it to the modern rubber one if it hasn't been done already.

As for the transmissions, I don't know how to test them on a bench, but you can start with whichever one has cleaner fluid or nicer looking internals. Fortunately they're really not that hard to change if you find that the one you installed is less than worthy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts