SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a 2019 XC60 Inscription have the ASL function? So far, I have not been able to locate the function. See below.

Automatic Speed Limiter
The Automatic Speed Limiter (ASL) function
helps the driver adapt the vehicle's maximum
speed to the posted speed limits.
The Speed Limiter (SL18) function can be
switched to Automatic Speed Limiter (ASL).
The Automatic Speed Limiter function uses
speed information from the Road Sign Information
function (RSI) to automatically adapt the
vehicle's maximum speed.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
This is European only. Not enabled for US spec cars.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I thought you have to have bought the package with the fancy cruise control for this to work which I did not.
My XC60 Momentum has the speed traffic signal thing that displays the local limit and flashes if I go over the limit. But I don’t think it can alter my speed. I’ll have to try it on when I use the regular cruise control...which is very infrequently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you’re at +5, you’re a speed bump.

I’m pretty sure I would hate this feature in the Volvo. It frequently gets the speed wrong when turning onto a street. I think it’s supposed to check the map database for speed limits but for some reason when I turn out of my neighborhood and onto the surface streets, the car still thinks the limit is 25 (neighborhood limit) instead of the posted 45 until it sees it’s first sign.

I do have to say that I like that it can override the map database with visuals of signs - the limits around here changed recently and the databases have not caught up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not sure it overrides with visual of signs, I have the impression that sometimes it sticks to the lowest of the two (map and visual). Where I live (Europe) the map is quite accurate, there are a couple of places where it's lower than the correct one, but that's in a low traffic neighborhood.
You can also raise the limit a bit with a simple button press, although I don't do it often. Speed traps are quite bad here, I was fined approx USD 250 for going 44 instead of 30 (27 mph instead of 20 mph)...

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is disappointing. US spec Audi’s and Merc’s have this.
You forgot to log in with your BigBang account. :D

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am not sure it overrides with visual of signs, I have the impression that sometimes it sticks to the lowest of the two (map and visual).
Override might be the wrong word but a lot of the surface streets around my neighborhood have recently been changed from 40 to 45. When I turn onto a recently-changed 45 street from a 40 street, the indicator stays at 40 until I pass a sign that says 45. Otherwise, the indicator usually changes just as soon as the speed zone changes, even without a sign. Except for that 25 to 40 I mentioned earlier...

Speed traps are quite bad here, I was fined approx USD 250 for going 44 instead of 30 (27 mph instead of 20 mph)...
Ouch. I don’t think they’ll even stop you here (Colorado) for less than 11 over (certain areas excepted like school zones, etc.).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obtained the following information from my local Volvo dealer.

"Good Morning Nick. The ASL function on the Volvo is more limited on US spec vehicles than European vehicles. Here, the car does not physically reduce your speed to the posted limit, it simply gives you notifications and alerts via flashing the posted speed limit sign indicator on your dash and giving you a low vibration in your steering wheel. As stated on your email attachment, only the European spec vehicles reduce your speed. Hope this helps!"

Many thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Who in their right mind would want this??? I'm not saying I wanna speed, but for FS, in NJ, good luck with the car slowing you down to speed limit on GSP and NJ TPK. And by good luck I mean pileup.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Who in their right mind would want this??? I'm not saying I wanna speed, but for FS, in NJ, good luck with the car slowing you down to speed limit on GSP and NJ TPK. And by good luck I mean pileup.
Many in UK on all those variable speed road sections full of the yellow average speed cameras

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah, but the dashcam car crash videos on YouTube are gonna be amazing. Otherwise nobody speeds in NJ and definitely not on I-287 in the 55mph zones. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Many in UK on all those variable speed road sections full of the yellow average speed cameras

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I meant in U.S.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts