SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,<p>So yesterday I was waiting for the wife at the Presto machine, and I put the car into park(2002 XC70). As she was walking back, put it back into Drive, and decided I wanted to try out some manual shifting. So I slotted it over to the Manual gate.<p>Well, instead of the usually dull thud of it slotting home, I hear this sort of grind/kapow, and I wasn't able to put it back into drive. Eventually, I was able to put it back to the automatic side, but it feels all messed up.<p>It's almost as if the spring tensioners in the shifter have broken off. So the shifter, when in D, can now easilly be moved over to the manual side, and actually sits in between the two gates. Putting it in to park is also a chore, as you have to slot it over. Also, the upshift on the manual side has no tension to it, as it doesn't return to center, just sits forward.<p>Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas? I'm really getting to the point where I want to sell this albatross and be done with it.<p>Thanks for anyhelp!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Automatic Shifter Problem (jbt308)

The linkage-magigy (or whatever its called for an automatic) is messed up. I have seen others with this problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Automatic Shifter Problem (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Thanks for the reply, do you have any idea on cost? Is it possible to fix it myself?<p>The thought of a bill for Volvo transmission work makes me pucker

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Automatic Shifter Problem (jbt308)

Here is a little info:<p> <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115645" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115645</A> <p>I don't think it would cost a ton since the linkage just needs adjusting. The tranny should be fine.<p>Sorry, I don't know how to fix it, I have never had the problem nor been to that area of my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts