SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 C30 with 115,000 miles. This afternoon I picked up my car from the dealer after having the passenger occupant weight sensor replaced. When I got in, I flipped the key fob and the car didn't start.

Unlike typical key ignitions, where you have to hold the key in the start position while the car cranks, in my C30, I've always turned the ignition switch to Position III, then immediately released the ignition, whereupon the starter takes over and finishes the job.

I tried again and discovered that, if I held the key fob in Position III, like a typical ignition, it started.

I went back in and asked the service manager about it. He came out to the car, experienced the same thing - that he had to hold the key in position III until the car was finished cranking - and tried to convince me that it was normal.

In the eight years I've owned this car, I haven't experienced this. I haven't been able to find any hints to solutions online. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting the issue?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have replaced several occupant weight sensor on your particular vehicle. It is very unlikely they did anything wrong to cause this. Was the S.R.S software upgraded ? It should have been. I suspect this is software related. Several modules are actually upgraded and changes are made. Theres probably not much your going to be able do about it. I do like that function. I drive these cars everyday and noticed some have that, And some don't. Never really gave it much thought. I'm a volvo dealership tech for 17 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't think they necessarily did anything "wrong." The car starts and the airbag light is finally off. But, it seems like it'd be really strange coincidence if the repair visit and the change in ignition behavior weren't somehow related. I asked if there were any firmware or software upgrades as part of the o.w.s. change and the service manager said no.

I like the software theory though. It seems similar to when a different dealership updated the software and it made it so that the passenger seatbelt warning dings once and the light goes off entirely after 10-15 seconds (previously it stayed on and dinged every 10 seconds until the passenger got out or buckled the seatbelt).

I was also wondering about the key fob. I only have ever used one of the two that came with the car and have never changed battery in either. I was thinking that tomorrow I'd see if the second, never used key fob behaves the same way.

Is there any way for me to know if they updated the software?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've seen that at some car with auto transmission.
XC70 2009 D5 or something like this.
So to start Gear selector should be at P or N.
At this car TCM (transmission module) sends current state of the Gear selector by CAN bus but also it signals to ECM by dedicated wire.
So the issue was with this wire. It was broken. But after we restored it nothing changed. As we checked TCM was faulty and did not make right signal for this wire.
Since than customer did not changed TCM module so we don't have resolution prove. Only symptoms was right according to VIDA description of the error code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changing key fobs didn't make a difference.

I'll try the battery disconnect

It has a manual transmission. So, I don't think it's the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
If simply disconnecting the battery doesn't work, you can also try disconnecting both battery leads and touching them together for 10 seconds to reset the system.

The progressive start feature learns your starting process. It seems to adapt to a slightly quicker flick or slightly longer, if you start the car by holding the key until it turns over, it'll eventually always do that. I doubt the car learned that quickly while it was at the shop... But you never know.
Like I said though, mine just randomly stopped working. Disconnected the battery and everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I left the battery disconnected overnight and it worked a like a charm. It now starts without having to hold the key in the start position.

Thank you for the advice and help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts